Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone running vorshlag steering couplers? (or other flaming river)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone running vorshlag steering couplers? (or other flaming river)

I'm thinking of installing a solid steering coupler.

What I'm hoping to avoid is having to drop the rack again. I dont mind cutting the rubber on the OEM joint and removing it as two pieces.

The question is; does the vorshlag or other flaming river equivalent steering coupler collapse slightly for install?

This picture makes it seem like it may be collapsible?

Your resource to do-it-yourself and interesting bmw and e30 stuff: www.rtsauto.com

Your resource to tools and tips: www.rtstools.com

I made a steering shaft using 2 identical Flaming River joints and a single 3/4" DD shaft. It's different than the Vorshlag unit, as that uses two different size joints, which are indeed collapsible (the 3/4" solid DD shaft slides within the hollow 1" DD shaft). That said, I cut mine in a way that I can remove the shaft without moving the joints, and still have sufficient engagement (note the amount of space between the set screws and the actual u-joint, that is how much room you have to slide the shaft, and disengage the opposing end). It's been 7-8 years now, still working just fine.

Either method will work, although the collapsible method does seem superior in that the cut length is not as critical, and it would decouple the rack from the column, which I'd think would be desirable in the case of any potential impact/movement.
    85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
    e30 restoration and V8 swap
    24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Working...
    X