No announcement yet.

Crank Scraper (review)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excuse MY ignorance, but what is the intention of a piece like this?

Body roll+perspective=the poor man's drop

Comment

Originally posted by Slangbox View Post
      Excuse MY ignorance, but what is the intention of a piece like this?
      to reduce press drops..esp on lt handers...mainly for track work.
      I love sitting down and just driving!

Comment

Originally posted by RangerGress View Post
        Bringing this thread back to life because I'm interested in the baffle. New information has surfaced in the past yr because a guy connected an oil pressure sensor to his data logger. He found that his pump was sucking air on all left turns and many right turns. He was running an I-J crankscraper. One guy's experience isn't conclusive, but it's interesting.

This weekend is the first time out with a OP sensor connected to my data logger. Once it's calibrated, that will be another data point.

Up above a guy mentioned that E30's are raced with few oiling problems. I would disagree. We go thru a lot of bearings. I've done it twice. Now I run an Accusump.
        didn't you already install the scraper + accusump?
        '12 F30 328i Sport Line
        '91 SpecE30 #523
        '00 Ford F-350 Dually Tow Vehicle

BMWCCA #360858 NASA #

Comment

Originally posted by kishg View Post
          didn't you already install the scraper + accusump?
          Yes, but the oil pressure data I collect should still be valid. Jon Allen's oil pressure data was collected with a scraper, and my Accusump checkvalve isolates pump OP from galley OP.

I'm still working on calibrating my pump OP sensor and the Traqmate. The data I collected this past weekend at Roebling was no slam dunk in support of Jon's data. I've tweaked the calibration a bit more and we'll see what it looks like at Road Atlanta.
          www.Gress.org

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing. -E. Burke

NASA SpecE30 #6, BMWCCA #161
          sigpic

Comment

He found that his pump was sucking air on all left turns and many right turns. He was running an I-J crankscraper. One guy's experience isn't conclusive, but it's interesting.
            I wouldn't put the blame yet on the scraper, while it would indeed be interesting to analyze the source of problem. Crank scrapper + oil starvation aren't necessarely related, but maybe I don't have the big picture. The crank scraper is located way above the oil pick-up and I don't see how the problems could be related. Also, a crank scraper without any oil pan baffle is putting priorities in the wrong place. What is required is to isolate the oil pick-up and keep oil from gong away from it in corners by climbing up the lower pan's walls. I will see how the M20 pan is done, but here's an experiment I did for the S14 engine. It is inserted between the upper and lower pan.

Brake harder. Go faster. No shit.

massivebrakes.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Massiv...78417442267056

Comment

Originally posted by Massive Lee View Post
              but here's an experiment I did for the S14 engine. It is inserted between the upper and lower pan.
              No worries of oil return on that one?
              My M20 Frankenbuild(s)
              4 Sale - Fully Built TurnKey Megasquirt Plug and Play EMS

Comment

Originally posted by whodwho View Post
                No worries of oil return on that one?
                Any reason to be concerned?

massivebrakes.com

Comment

Originally posted by Massive Lee View Post
                  Any reason to be concerned?
                  Not questioning your research/design just curious. I have not researched so I'm not really sure on the volume of oil at high RPMs but wondering on the available space to return to the pickup side of your plate.

Always love seeing your work.
                  My M20 Frankenbuild(s)
                  4 Sale - Fully Built TurnKey Megasquirt Plug and Play EMS

Comment

The tube that feeds the whole engine with oil is about 10mm in diameter. It is obviously pressurized. The returned oil drips from all over the engine and front cover. That oil simply mixes with the one in the pan. The horizontal baffle is below the oil level. BTW There are more than enough openings for oil to flow down the lower pan. Look at the finished product. There's even a hole at the back as the engine is slightly canted.

massivebrakes.com

Comment

Does anybody know if M30 engines with e32/e34 oil pan suffer from oil starvation as well?

They have a factory baffle of some sort in the pan

Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
                        Actually there is - It's called engineering. - but just not at an e30 price - just to clarify.
                        Hi,

I make the scrapers.

With a fully machined cast crankshaft you could make a scraper that would fit within the tolerance. BMW did not do this -- the seams on the sides of the counterweights are uneven. Also, there are variances in other parts like pumps. There are certain critical dimensions that must be met but in other areas if the housing is not near another stock part the manufacturer is left to their own best practice.

A few years ago I had a discussion about this with an engineer from Cosworth while we were discussing casting techniques.

Just a small example from another marque, Ford, but on a newer engine, the Zetec E: I purchased 11 pressure cast sump castings ranging over about a 5 year production span. There were three distinct groups of casting gate dimensions. There was more than 2mm variance from one of the groups to the other.

Here is a good example of slightly more than 2mm variance from Toyota; this occured because they were saving money by reusing a 20V mold for a different application:

Comment

Originally posted by mspiegle View Post
                          Yeah, the one thing I wasn't clear on is whether the steel base in the teflon system was actually cut with more clearance (so that you only need to slice the teflon with a knife).
                          You always have to confirm that the frame has been reduced enough -- it is pulled back, yes. Don't forget that the downstroke scraper is not Teflon and must be checked.

Comment

Yes, but the oil pressure data I collect should still be valid. Jon Allen's oil pressure data was collected with a scraper, and my Accusump checkvalve isolates pump OP from galley OP.

I'm still working on calibrating my pump OP sensor and the Traqmate. The data I collected this past weekend at Roebling was no slam dunk in support of Jon's data. I've tweaked the calibration a bit more and we'll see what it looks like at Road Atlanta.
                            I don't think the fundamental problem with the E30 is the pickup being uncovered but rather the amount of air entrained into the oil by it being churned by the rotating assembly. In fact, I suspect this is the case in most situations blamed on the pickup being uncovered.

This is also why you must be very careful when using an oil accumulator. An accumulator injects even more oil volume which can exacerbate the problem. Also, when the device recharges it becomes incrementally more and more laden with aerated oil.

Oil accumulators were designed specifically for when the pickup is uncovered. Other uses or theories came creeping in over the years. When a car goes over a jump the oil can lift from the floor of the pan. Ditto when a car with high levels of downforce goes over a bump in the track. Or when an airboat hits debris in the water at speed, etc.

Lots of variables with oil supply issues.

In case it is not complicated enough, the silicone antifoams used in some oils are good at reducing surface foaming but they encourage bubble entrainment deeper in the oil.

Some low viscosity oils have higher entrainment at low temps than high viscosity oils and then the data flips at higher operating temps.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean View Post
                              Does anybody know if M30 engines with e32/e34 oil pan suffer from oil starvation as well?

They have a factory baffle of some sort in the pan

It is the same general issue. It is also true with the M10 series and derivatives.

Comment

Hi Kevin,

I've experience oil starvation on the m10, it's quite easy to do but since the design of the e32/e34 pan is quite different I wanted to know if they suffer from it as well?

Do you know for a fact that they do?

Thanks.
                                Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Working...
                                X