Well That Escalated Quickly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tiger_e30 View Post
    Got some off craiglist coming. Looks like all in I will be at 350. I'll post some before and after pictures
    please do :)

Comment

Got some off craiglist coming. Looks like all in I will be at 350. I'll post some before and after pictures
      take care of the old parts when you're taking them off and you can sell stuff to make that "all-in" price even less
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

About halfway through the project and figured I would post a update. Getting the rear bumper off wasn't horrible but there is a third bolt mounted horizontally through the bumper shock that was hard to find and you have to loosen the muffler heat shield to get it out.

Front bumper was pretty easy to remove and I have installed the new bumper shocks

So far beyond the bumpers here is what has been needed.
        Plastic bumper clips the plastic bumpers slide over The diving board clips don't work.

Front and rear bumper shocks.

Torx bolts for diving board and plastic bumpers are different lengths. The diving board have shorter bolts

Front turn signals have different connectors so you need those with a pigtail.

Currently at a standstill until I get the bumper clips and turnsignals.
        Last edited by tiger_e30; 12-27-2016, 01:31 PM.

Comment

post some damn pics! haha
          Simon
          Current Cars:

Comment

I understood the 88 had the same bumpers shocks since they also bolt up through the bottom, and have 88-specific bumpers with that hole in the bottom? I can't find a part number for 88-specific metal bumper shocks.

I want to convert my late model to metal for my spec car.
            john@m20guru.com
            Links:
            Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

I posted a picture of my 88 and the new "plastic bumper" shocks side by side. I think the newer shocks might work for the rear bumper but you would have to modify the support in in the bumper to get it to fit/grind it so the tube that the torx goes through fits. As you can see the length is pretty different so if you really need to know I could mock it up for you tomorrow.

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
              I understood the 88 had the same bumpers shocks since they also bolt up through the bottom, and have 88-specific bumpers with that hole in the bottom? I can't find a part number for 88-specific metal bumper shocks.

I want to convert my late model to metal for my spec car.
              Attached Files

Comment

Part number on it is 51 12 1971 858

I posted a picture of my 88 and the new "plastic bumper" shocks side by side. I think the newer shocks might work for the rear bumper but you would have to modify the support in in the bumper to get it to fit/grind it so the tube that the torx goes through fits. As you can see the length is pretty different so if you really need to know I could mock it up for you tomorrow.

Comment

Not overly important, but if you could, that would be great. I can just cut/weld whatever needs to be done, but the plastic bumpers are just no bueno for racing - they crumble like blue cheese when drafting :(

Do you still have the plastic surrounds for the ends that house the side markers lights? I would be interested in them if you still have them. Help you get some of that $$ back from your swap ;)

I have many sets of late model shocks, wish I would have seen this thread earlier, could have traded you some parts. :/
                  john@m20guru.com
                  Links:

Comment

Part number on it is 51 12 1971 858
                    Doesn't come up in any parts reference. :(
                    john@m20guru.com
                    Links:

Comment

So I mocked them up and here are the pictures. For the sides you will have to weld on a bracket for the plastic/rubber surround. I think the rear diving board bumper should be a direct bolt on for you if you have the metal bracket shown in the picture attached to the bumper and you will have to cut the vertical piece that supports the bumper down to get it to fit in the bracket and use a bolt and nut. Worst case you would need a spacer between the metal bumper and metal bracket. The car is still apart right now so let me know if you have any questions and I can go out and take a look. Still have the sides let me see what kind of shape they are in and I can send pics. You will also need the side brackets pictured since the rubber side piece slides back onto it

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                      Not overly important, but if you could, that would be great. I can just cut/weld whatever needs to be done, but the plastic bumpers are just no bueno for racing - they crumble like blue cheese when drafting :(

Do you still have the plastic surrounds for the ends that house the side markers lights? I would be interested in them if you still have them. Help you get some of that $$ back from your swap ;)

I have many sets of late model shocks, wish I would have seen this thread earlier, could have traded you some parts. :/
                      Attached Files

Comment

I am almost done. Doing it by myself so it's hard to check interference when I'm installing the rear bumper.

Does anyone know if the rear bumper should just slide on or do I need to cut the bracket that the rubber trim pieces screwed too.

Also wondering if I need to get a Dremel and grind the bolt holes to move the shocks down a little.

Going to get it finished up tomorrow one way or another

Comment

Normally for the plastic bumpers, I pull the two vertical screws and slide them out whole (fiberglass with the lights and cover), leaving the shocks in the car, reverse for installation.
                          john@m20guru.com
                          Links:

Comment

That worked pretty well. Had to grind off two mounting tabs for the old bumper then touched it up with duplacolor victory red so it didn't rust. Just started adjusting the brackets.

Comment

I am done. I think it came out pretty well.
                              Attached Files

Comment

I am done. I think it came out pretty well.
                                I agree, but you need to go out and take some good "finished" pics
                                Simon
                                Current Cars:

Comment

Working...
                                X