How to properly store an E30?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to properly store an E30?

Hey guys I'm going away to college in August and I just be able to work on and drive my E30. Currently I don't drive the car other than pulling it out of the garage to work on my Jeep or Subaru. I want to put the car into a state of long term rest because I doubt ill work on it until this time next year. What do you guys recommend I do to keep things in good shape to let it sit for at least a year?
    My rigs:
    1984 Jeep Cj7 (my baby)
    Lifted 2006 Subaru Baja (the daily)
    1987 BMW 325e Off-road Build (the new hotness)

Use all the gas. In a year it won’t be complete shit, but you get the point.

Give her a good detail, use a product that protects all the plastics and rubber pieces.
    Put a cover on her, but don’t set stuff on it as a lot of people do.

Put an air freshener in it. Also put those anti rodent things in the engine bay and near anything electrical.

If you’re really crazy you can put some wd40, very light amount, on your rotors to prevent them from rusting over.

Comment

Suck Seafoam into the engine through a vacuum hose until it starts smoking, then shut it down. This will keep the engine internals from corroding.

Comment

Let us drive it around for you. We promise that we won't break it.

Comment

a year? If it's in a garage, put a cover on it, hook up a battery tender, and it will be fine. I never noticed any problems with gas and I've let it sit for more than a year. I'd change the oil though if it's nearly due.
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I'd probably just stick it in the garage, and make sure it stays dry. Disconnect the battery or put it on a tender.

Comment

I store mine for months or a year at a time. My recipe is

- Full tank of gas with fuel stabilizer added
              - Refresh fluids if needed
              - Remove the battery and/or use a battery tender (depends if you have access to AC power or not where you're parking it)
              - Put 40# of air in the tires (helps prevent flat spots)
              - Make sure the emergency brake is not engaged (use a wheel chock if necessary)
              - Use some small spacers to keep the windshield wipers off the glass
              - Detail, wax, etc.

A year later, reverse the process and enjoy.

The E30 collection:
              1987 325es M52 - Schwarz / Taurus Red Sport (son #2's)
              1987 325is - Delphin / Black Sport (son #3's)
              1987 325i Convertible - Triple Black
              1989 325iX Coupe - Diamondschwarz / Black Comfort
              1990 325iX Coupe - Sterling Silver / Grey Sport

1981 Fiat 124 Spider 2000 - Green / Tan
              1998 Volvo V70 GLT - White / Tan
              1998 Volvo S70 T5 manual - White / Taupe
              2001 Ford Windstar - Silver / Grey (parts hauler)
              2006 Lexus GX470 - White / Tan (tow rig)

Comment

Additionally, lube or powder your door/trunk seals before you leave it, clean the car really well, and get wheel cribs or park it on dead tires.

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                  a year? If it's in a garage, put a cover on it, hook up a battery tender, and it will be fine. I never noticed any problems with gas and I've let it sit for more than a year. I'd change the oil though if it's nearly due.
                  This. Infact I would fill the tank and put in the correct amount of stabil in it. As the OP lives in VA anb with the high humidity and variable temps though out the year, thats a good way to get condensation on the inside of the tank and likely into the fuel supply. If its full of gas there is no moisture laden air just sitting in there to cause this issue.

I would wash it, pull it in, disconnect the battery leads and put a cover on it
                  Originally posted by Fusion
                  If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                  The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                  William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by 101 View Post
                    I store mine for months or a year at a time. My recipe is

- Full tank of gas with fuel stabilizer added
                    Agreed.
                    Don't listen to some jokester who'll tell you otherwise.

I've been storing mine since the early 00's for up to a year at a time. Always kept the tank full as mentioned above and never had an issue. Gasoline is hygroscopic so it'll absorb water in the tank. Water is your enemy when storing and will lead to all sorts of fuel issues when the car is finally driven (rust ending up in the fuel pump/injectors etc).

An added benefit of using stabilizer, is it'll lubricate/coat the top of the cylinders/piston area when you add it a few miles before shutting down. This will help reduce/eliminate the amount of corrosion that may cause sticky rings etc. when you decide to start it.
                    If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

The amount of times you’ve used my username to make a joke....

I forgot about condensation as I have lived in SoCal my entire life, we never have to deal with cold winters or any moisture issues. I agree with the statements above.

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
                        This. Infact I would fill the tank and put in the correct amount of stabil in it. As the OP lives in VA anb with the high humidity and variable temps though out the year, thats a good way to get condensation on the inside of the tank and likely into the fuel supply. If its full of gas there is no moisture laden air just sitting in there to cause this issue.

I would wash it, pull it in, disconnect the battery leads and put a cover on it
                        I never had a problem, but my garage stays fairly constant (40-60 degrees). This last time was over a year with nothing but a battery tender. It fired right up.

actually I need to go wash it now so I can put it back in the garage.. lol.
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                        X