E46 330i brakes with E36 M3 knuckles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E46 330i brakes with E36 M3 knuckles

Title tells the question: Do the E46 330i rotors (325/25mm) and calipers fit bolt-on to E36 _M3_ knuckles ? I've read confusing comments about this, and not sure what the truth is. Non-M knuckles should be ok.

No, the calipers bolt on to E36 Non-M spindles only. To use M3 brakes, you need M3 spindles.

That's why the 330i brakes were popular for E36 people, no need to change spindles.

Comment

Actually M3 spindles could work with E46 330i brakes if the caliper bracket is moved about 7-8mm outwards by shimming or similar means. But I can't prove this by now as I don't have all the parts in my hands.

Comment

Well, a lot of brakes can be mounted to M3 spindles with brackets or shimming... Sort of defeats the purpose of doing an OEM BBK and using M3 spindles though.

Why exactly do you want E46 330i brakes over E36 M3 brakes? It's not very expensive to buy remanufactured or used calipers if you're thinking cost. E46 brakes have good resale value too, since non-M E36 users want them.

Comment

Originally posted by earthwormjim View Post
          Why exactly do you want E46 330i brakes over E36 M3 brakes? It's not very expensive to buy remanufactured or used calipers if you're thinking cost. E46 brakes have good resale value too, since non-M E36 users want them.
          Actually I don't want 330i brakes instead of M3, just trying to explore what is possible + availability + price.

M3 spindles are good for the suspension geometry. There are slight differences compared to non-M which I think are there for good reason.

Thanks for your input, I know the first post or even the second aren't specially informative about the motivation.

As background I have a custom set of Alcon 4-pots + 330/32mm brakes but I found out that they don't fit to my M3 spindles & arms. So because of that I had a panic reaction :D and started to explore alternative methods to get BBK setup, preferably very cheaply... and then the 330i brake concept came in. But it seems that those Alcons would fit with non-M spindles. But that is off-topic.

Comment

Here it is. 7mm offset is required to connect the carrier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by hasa View Post

Here it is. 7mm offset is required to connect the carrier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              hasa are you using 96+ e36 M3 knuckles here with the 330i rotors as well?

I'm leaning toward this option because my M3 setup was stolen and I was forced to start over, I've managed to get my hands on another set of knuckles but that's all I've got right now

many thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Armien_Bey View Post

hasa are you using 96+ e36 M3 knuckles here with the 330i rotors as well?

I'm leaning toward this option because my M3 setup was stolen and I was forced to start over, I've managed to get my hands on another set of knuckles but that's all I've got right now

many thanks
                Yes the combo shown in the picture are E36 M3 knuckles + E46 330i carriers and rotors too.

Comment

thanks for the feedback, I've managed to find another pair of M3 knuckles with brakes so I don't need this setup probably until I need to replace pads and rotors, in which case the 330i stuff will be cheaper.. now for the wheels lol

Comment

Just as legacy to other readers: My solution did not work out. E46 330i callipers bottomed out to E46 325mm discs when using E36 M3 knuckles with spacers. I swapped to Brembo callipers later. Sorry for the misleading info at first sight.

Comment

On my project I’m using e30 struts with a five lug conversion with adapters and e46 330 front brakes 325x25. I never tried on them on e36 m3 knuckle.
                      Projects Hartge,Alpina & AC Schnitzer Builds.http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=280601
                      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=227993
                      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=289362

DSC04926 by Raul Salinas, on FlickrDSC03413 by Raul Salinas, on Flickr

Comment

Working...
                      X