Toyota Prius

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chap0223 View Post
    It's consistently been one of consumer report's most reliable cars. Where'd you hear that?
    Look into the lawsuit Suzuki filed against CR based on lies spread about the Suzuki Samurai and it's 'roll happiness' if you want to see how much faith one should put in CR.

That isn't to say that I hate the Prius, and I really have no idea what their reliability is like. The SouthPark smug episode unfortunately isn't too unrealistic a representation of some owners, which is REALLY frustrating, because the Prius alone isn't doing anything to save the world. HOWEVER, I think we should appreciate them for the fact that they will help with the development of better hybrids in the future.

Comment

I just google'd the Aptera, it looks realyl cool. I'd drive it for nothing else but the 1990's sci-fi look :)

Comment

I don't like them. Not only are the butt fucking ugly, but i've been hit 3 times walking across the street cause the mother fuckers are so quiet :(

Comment

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
          I just google'd the Aptera, it looks realyl cool. I'd drive it for nothing else but the 1990's sci-fi look :)
          Yeah, and it's built locally here in San Diego.

Solar panels on the roof of your house/garage and voila -- clean energy.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakinho View Post
            I don't like them. Not only are the butt fucking ugly, but i've been hit 3 times walking across the street cause the mother fuckers are so quiet :(
            Click above for more pictures of the Vibering concept Cars can be dangerous objects, there's no doubt about it. While the most obvious danger is definitel

Comment

Originally posted by Chap0223 View Post
              Diesel is $4.60 a gallon. That's an extra at least 5 dollars a tank. Incentives, at least in MN have expired for most hybrids out there. Also, the diesels that do achieve low emissions have expensive exhaust systems with extra filtering. That's why the TDI hybrid got canned. It was going to be too expensive to make.

Edit: I have never had a tank lower than 50 mpg in the prius. I just read that article (about the 520d) and you would have to try pretty hard to get the dismal average they got (40 mpg). Also, a sample size of one car means nothing. Also you wouldn't offset the price difference of the 520d (~$42,000) and the prius (~22,000) over 200,000 miles on the prius (assuming 50 mpg). (200,000 mi/ 50 mpg)= 4,000 gallons x $4 dollars/gallons= $16,000.
              the 520d is a completely different class of car, of course its going to cost more.

we might as well compare a $30000 polo TDi vs a $44000 prius then, and the polo gets better economy (3.8L/100km vs 4.4L/100km) and pays less for the fuel ($1.50/L vs $2.00). Unfortunately RUC has recently gone up so the 2 vehicles actually cost pretty much the same for a given distance.

even a golf TDi is $4000 cheaper. Obviously theres a huge difference in economy depending on the use and how its driven but the majority of tests don't have the Prius as the most efficient vehicle.

Those prices an NZD, I don't know about prices in the states, which may be different due to import taxes etc but in NZ i don't understand why people waste their money on one
              Last edited by Borat; 06-11-2008, 06:22 PM.

Comment

id take a $2000 crx hf over a prius if i was that concerned about gas prices. it would pay for itself a lot quicker.
                Claus Luthe is my hero.

Comment

I know people that owned a super uber badass hybrid, That was so cheap and got such great mileage. Then it cost them thousands and alot of time. Then they got a good car that hasn't had a problem since other than rising diesel prices(see: price gouging). I wont agree that this over complicated but well marketed car is the answer, When the answer is and has been here for a while(see:diesel). Electric car's have a long way to go before they are gonna save the world, Sorry.

Comment

I read what John said, and I feel the same way. Plus, the batteries use lots of nickel and lead. These metals are not exactly enviromentally awesome with thier production waste. I dare say it's more harmful to build and drive a Prius than a Hummer when you get down to the whole cycle of it. :p
                    '89 325i track sloot
                    '01 530i daily

-Enginerd

Comment

Sounds like you guys are the smug ones. Bragging about neighbors cars.
                      "We praise or find fault, depending on which of the two provides more opportunity for our powers of judgement to shine."

Comment

Originally posted by Turf1600 View Post
                        Sounds like you guys are the smug ones. Bragging about neighbors cars.
                        Totally, Smug fags....

Comment

If you're that worried about gas...buy a motorcycle.
                          www.ryanwhopkins.com

Comment

Originally posted by Yakinho View Post

Apparently horns are a option then, no ??

agreed on the fugly factor too...

Comment

Prius's are for gays. This is where its at:

My buddy just picked one up for 300 bucks. Averages well into the 40's. Plus it has nitrous.

Comment

My coworker's company rig is in the shop, so enterprise gave him a prius. I played with it today. The key is neat. Lots of neat-o factor. The main computer display needs to be driver centric and could benefit from a joystick or something like idrive. You really have to turn and look at it taking eyes off the road. Surprisingly roomy inside, but it is still a very small car with little oomph. Mileage is spectacular, but the price premium makes a cost analysis pretty ugly. You can buy a baby kia for less than half the price and it would take years of average use to break even with a prius.

Comment

Working...
                                X