• Show
Clear All

really looking awesome!
    1990 325is
    m52b28
    3.73lsd
    g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

it's a chance to do things smarter too...
      I really dont like those plastic cable clips that proliferate in the engine bay.
      Much neater to use a rivnut in the original hole and then use a TytonHellermann loom standoff and top if off with a nice Thomas&Betts cable tie :)
      no cable rub on body, looks nice neater, easier to keep looms aligned and nice on the body.
      example..

88 325is. S54, CSL airbox, Motec M800, Motec C127, Motec PDM15, Stoptech STR, MCS 2 way coilovers, Forgeline wheels, Recaro SPA, Eisenmann, Personal, lots of custom.

90 318is. As new OEM+, BBS LM, AST 4210 2 way coilovers, Wilwood SL6R/SL4R, Dynaudio, Recaro Experts

Comment

That's a nice idea. Where have you been buying them
        sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

Rs components have all that you need��
          88 325is. S54, CSL airbox, Motec M800, Motec C127, Motec PDM15, Stoptech STR, MCS 2 way coilovers, Forgeline wheels, Recaro SPA, Eisenmann, Personal, lots of custom.

90 318is. As new OEM+, BBS LM, AST 4210 2 way coilovers, Wilwood SL6R/SL4R, Dynaudio, Recaro Experts

Comment

oh my.

Comment

Interested to see how it looks installed.
              I do things.

Comment

Insane build so far, loving the color you chose. In for more :D
                1990 Bmw 316i 2 door Alpine Weiß 2
                1990 Bmw 535iA Alpine Weiß 2 (soon to be manual)

Comment

Whoa. Absolutely stunning!

Originally posted by whysimon
                  WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

So, now, it’s painted and mostly sanded & polished… major reassembly can commence.
                    It will get another mild sand/polish in a few areas once its all done… gives the paint a chance to cure and move a bit too. It’s a ‘hot rod’ paint job, not an OEM one (read… a LOT of paint on the thing…) mixed feelings about it, stone chips will be like craters. But, sure looks nice.
                    Most of the car will be clear wrapped anyway, so that would mitigate most stone chip concerns.

With reassembly comes parts…. Hundreds and hundreds of new parts. New clips, plugs, screws, nuts, trim, body parts, interior stuff….
                    To make my life easier, I have ordered all this stuff into bins / tubs / trays so I can find what I need

Theres a fair amount of re-wiring going on. Engine bay in particular, OEM harness is messy. I will not do a ‘tucked’ engine bay, but I will do a ‘motorsport look’ engine bay. i.ee concentric wrap wires, tidy, DR25 tubing etc. I have this on another one and it just looks great and is very functional too. This means much reverse engineering of the body loom…
                    From the basic scratch pad..

To the ‘this how it works’ view

Speaking looms, the engine bay plugs cop a hammering from heat & ozone… lucky have secured all new plugs for everything

Testing a few label styles

Now, as it’s a ‘hot rod’ paint job, one thing that slightly annoyed me (but have since dealt with) is that every panel was painted separately because ‘that’s how we do it’.
                    It meant that the bolts that hold the front fenders to body – as one example – were not painted as one… so they would stick out.
                    Solution.. pro-bolt orange hardware!

Assembly is a really blissful thing, if you have the clear time to spend.. pressing in new clips and plugs is strangely satisfying

And it begins to look like an e30

(don’t worry, door hardware will not remain painted orange… that’s just a dummy set)

I’m putting the OEM side skirts on this, so all holes were drilled and treated before any paint went down… hopefully means no rust

As significant chemical stripped was ladled on the car, I’ve been pretty thorough on hitting every nook and cranny with HEAPS of 3M cavity wax. Really nice stuff, comes with a 1 metre applicator tubes.. gets right down into all the frame rails.. awesome

Behind the windscreen cowl

Lastly.. time to chase a few threads

(cavity wax behind)
                    Hang a few more things

Heart new hardware

Sometimes you need some shine

Thanks
                    :)

Comment

Looks great!

I appreciate the pics, I'll be able to use some as reference.
                      I do things.

Comment

Originally posted by Melon View Post
                        Looks great!

I appreciate the pics, I'll be able to use some as reference.
                        Same

That orange would be eye searing to work with up close. I find with my Ducati after working on it (and particularly polishing it in the sun) due to the red content the colours that my eyes produced had changed.
                        sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

So is anyone gonna point out that the title says "but and bolt" instead of "nut and bolt"?

Comment

yeah, i know :)
                            how do i change that?

Comment

You used to be able to edit titles on here, but I'm trying it with an old thread of mine, and I can't figure it out. Maybe a mod has to do it.

Comment

I think it is in the go advanced section.
                                sigpic
                                Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                                92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                                88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                                88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                                87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                                12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Working...
                                X