MTechnic Manual Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MTechnic Manual Swap

Begins tomorrow. Driving up to Charlotte tomorrow to drop her off at EuroMpire (http://eurompire.com) and let Matt work his magic. Can't wait to start actually DRIVING the car for a change! Will keep pics of the transformation here for everyone to follow...

It’s about to go down...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Was this the car from San Diego?
      sigpic

Comment

MTechnic Manual Swap

Originally posted by Mike36 View Post
        Was this the car from San Diego?

No, Missouri. I think the one from San Diego already has a manual in it if I'm not mistaken.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
        Last edited by BMWBrat; 02-19-2019, 11:09 AM.

Comment

MTechnic Manual Swap

Comment

Comment

Whoever installed your guibo put it on "backwards", you can see the arrows aren't lined up properly. Also make sure the shop installs the firewall grommet's for the clutch master feed line and clutch master hard line. Can't tell you how many times people fail to install them while doing a manual swap. Nice mtech btw, love them in red.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Flex_Disc-0192.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	7200819
              Last edited by KIRIEIW; 02-20-2019, 08:14 PM.

1992 M tech 2 Convertible - S50 Swap
              1992 e34 Touring- S50 Swap
              1992 325i-S50 Swap (SOLD)

1995 e36 M3 Mugello Red - S50 (SOLD)
              1991 325i Convertible Laguna Green (SOLD)
              1987 325i (SOLD);1992 M tech 2 Convertible (SOLD)
              1988 325i Convertible Alpine White (SOLD)
              Brilliantrot Convertible 80k Miles (SOLD)
              1992 325i Convertible Schwarz (SOLD)
              1992 318i Convertible Project-Finished (SOLD)

Comment

Originally posted by KIRIEIW View Post
                Your guibo is on "backwards", you can see the arrows aren't lined up properly. Nice mtech, love them in red.

Thx for noticing. I told that to the guy I bought the transmission from a few months ago. I knew we were gonna replace it once I got it to the shop so I just never took it off.

Matt from EuroMpire texted me an update just about an hour ago saying that he's putting on the new one we got. I reminded him to install it correctly (although I felt like I was preaching to the choir).

Thx also for the Brilliantrot comment!

Comment

Won’t be much longer. Just waiting on the rebuilt 3.73 LSD:

Comment

More progress towards the world of shifting and driving instead of just riding:

@euroMpire #MTechnic #ManualSwap

Clutch line

Clutch hose

Sound deadening pads on top and bottom to cover old unused holes

Reverse lights functional (kinda tricky)

Comment

Lookey what came in today! Rebuilt 3.73 LSD...(Thx Chris!)

Comment

One step closer to shifting gears...rebuilt 3.73 limited slip differential installed:

Comment

I hate to be that guy, but I live locally to where you're getting the work done and was wonder how much this cost you. Thx.

Comment

Originally posted by zippityDu View Post
                            I hate to be that guy, but I live locally to where you're getting the work done and was wonder how much this cost you. Thx.

That's a fair question...but also a complicated one.

First of all, I supplied the bulk of the major parts like the rebuilt driveshaft, the pedal assembly, master cylinder, rear transmission mount, the rebuilt differential and the 5 speed transmission itself.

Matt from EuroMpire provided a lot of the ancillary parts like the new clutch/flywheel, Z3 shifter/leather shift boot and leather shift knob, new Guibo, slave cylinder, switches, hoses, clamps, bolts, springs, shims, grommets/gaskets/hoses, etc...(Not to mention all the fluids like brake fluid, gear oil, auto transmission fluid, etc...)

Other enthusiasts may not prefer/need to change out the differential and the driveshaft or prefer/need a specific shifter, so their costs would be different were that the case. So, some of my personal choices for the swap definitely impacted my costs. And if there's one thing I've learned in over 25 years of owning BMW's and modifying them, if you want it done right, be willing to pay for it. Don't be fooled by some DIY video on YouTube that lulls you into believing this kind of work can done be in a garage for a couple of thousand.

So, I'd say if you want to get a personal quote, give Matt a call. He's very knowledgeable and also very personable. I can think of no one else in our area I'd have as much confidence in working on this rare car and getting it right than Matt at EuroMpire. Final installation pics should be available by this weekend!
                            Last edited by Uber///m3; 03-12-2019, 06:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Uber///m3 View Post
                              That's a fair question...but also a complicated one.

First of all, I supplied the bulk of the major parts like the rebuilt driveshaft, the transmission, the pedal assembly, master cylinder, rear transmission mount, the rebuilt differential and the 5 speed transmission itself.

Matt from EuroMpire provided a lot of the ancillary parts like the new clutch/flywheel, Z3 shifter/leather shift boot and leather shift knob, new Guibo, slave cylinder, switches, hoses, clamps, bolts, springs, shims, grommets/gaskets/hoses, etc...(Not to mention all the fluids like brake fluid, gear oil, auto transmission fluid, etc...)

Other enthusiasts may not prefer/need to change out the differential and the driveshaft or prefer/need a specific shifter, so their costs would be different were that the case. So, some of my personal choices for the swap definitely impacted my costs. And if there's one thing I've learned in over 25 years of owning BMW's and modifying them, if you want it done right, be willing to pay for it. Don't be fooled by some DIY video on YouTube that lulls you into believing this kind of work can be in a garage for a couple of thousand.

So, I'd say if you want to get a personal quote, give Matt a call. He's very knowledgeable and also very personable. I can think of no one else in our area I'd have as much confidence in working on this rare car and getting it right than Matt at EuroMpire. Final installation pics should be available by this weekend!

Thanks for the detailed reply. People do make it seem awfully easy doing this swap, and I know that it’s never the case unless you have infinite experience. Looks forward to the next update.

Comment

Working...
                              X