Timing Advance/ Retard question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timing Advance/ Retard question

I am running an m50nv on MS3X with an hx35 , and had a quick question about timing retard under boost.
    I found that I was hitting 7psi at 3100RPM with the throttle at %50, my question for that is timing. I know I need to start retarding timing when boost comes on (.5-1degree per PSI) but I have also read that you want all of the timing in by 3200-3500. This is conflicting, I cannot keep advancing timing under boost (engine does not like that). Should I be trying to shove all the timing in before boost? Or does it not matter because I am able to spool up so quickly that I will get my torque from boost?
    Thanks!

Ideally you want your timing "all in" as soon as possible so that you get the most torque. Obviously pre ignition and bent rods are not the best recipe for power, though. Above 100Kpa you should begin pulling timing. This is why it's smart to tune the car without a turbo first, to then remove timing in boost.

It sounds like you have tried advancing more under boost--that's very dangerous, and hopefully you haven't grenaded your motor. Replace your spark plugs (copper of course) and inspect the old ones for detonation. Consider going to a colder plug if you are making at least 75hp beyond factory specs.
    '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
    NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
    Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

Working...
    X