Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stomp Test 1222, Studder under 3k rpm, Help please- solved

The problem:

The stomp test code I am getting is 1222. Haven't found a shop that has a code-reader on hand.wafflesThe car will 'studder' when not in gear going from idle to full throttle, then smooths out after ~3k. When driving, the car often bucks/ feels like a misfire when driving under 3k. It will drive smooth when driving it lightly/ at below maybe half throttle, but if you are hard on the trottle in any gear it will often buck/ seems to be low on power (when less than about 3k). Even after about 3k, the car seems slightly low on power. I didn't recognize the problem for a while, as drive relatively slow/calm to and from work.

I have replaced a few things since none of them have been done in the last 6+years. Replacements include: vac. lines, o2 sensor, fuel filter, IVC, fuel pressure regulator, spark plugs, wires, intake and valve cover gaskets. Opened the AFM to confirm movement of dial when rpms are raised/ lowered, compression is about 150 throughout. I personally can't find any leaks (did a ghetto smoke test)wafflesbut a professional test hasn't been done.waffles

thank you for your time.

It was the fuel pump.
    Last edited by d_elson0; 04-19-2017, 04:10 PM.

Check plugs and wires- ignition miss can trigger 1222, since there's too much
    oxygen from the missing cylinder.

hth,
    t
    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Drives better now, no mute hesitation/ stuffer when hard on throttle below 3k. Check engine light still came on when driving at cruising speed and holding at around 75, then when I let off the throttle the light turns off immediately.
      Last edited by d_elson0; 03-13-2017, 06:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
        Check plugs and wires- ignition miss can trigger 1222, since there's too much
        oxygen from the missing cylinder.

hth,
        t
        these have been done w/in the last month or two, brand new. plugs dont look rich/lean.

Comment

Originally posted by d_elson0 View Post
          these have been done w/in the last month or two, brand new. plugs dont look rich/lean.
          Hey man I'd check the c191 connector. Just had all kinds of problems and that was one or the reasons

Comment

I'm not sure how common it is but I found a thread on m42 club when i had a similar problem.

There is a small black connector in the loom on the firewall. I had connected it whilst swapping the motor in. Black connector. One black wire.

As soon as i disconnected this my car ran perfectly.

Comment

Originally posted by tiger_e30 View Post
              Hey man I'd check the c191 connector. Just had all kinds of problems and that was one or the reasons
              I'll take a look.

Also, I made sure the plug on the firewall is correct. Thanks!

Seems like it was the o2 sensor. The car still has a slight trouble starting up, long crank time, dies after first start up. Starts and idles okay the second try. The code still will pop up if crusing at a consistant speed. Drives a lot better than before (maybe a little low on power), but not like it did before the issue popped up.
              Last edited by d_elson0; 04-19-2017, 04:11 PM.

Comment

Still stuck with the issue. Going to take it into somewhere to have someone else look at it and do a smoke test. Hopefully I'll have more answers tomorrow. Ordered a bunch of parts from bavauto, hoping i can return some of them (most probably should be replaced by now anyways).

Comment

have you checked the little vacuum line to the FPR?

Comment

Ya, its brand new.
                    Had a smoke test done at a shop. No leaks.
                    Also had them fuel pressure test since it was in the shop. Looks like I'm way down on Fuel pressure. It was done before the fuel filter because I replaced the FPR and fuel filter less than a month ago.

Good thing I have a replacement pump that came in today. Hopefully this will I'll be it.

It was the fuel pump after all.
                    Last edited by d_elson0; 04-19-2017, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X