Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S52 Oil Seperator / PCV system

Are people using the oil seperator? #2 in this pic:

The problem is that to do the swap, a e34 dipstick tube is used; however, it doesn't have the breather opening that #6 is connected to? The only solution that I can think of is combining a e34 and e36 dipstick tube into one. Is there a true solution to this?

I've seen a few people add a breather to the E34 dipstick. I ended up running #6 into a catch can instead of back into the sump.

Comment

See my thread under "M54 foolishness...". I added the section to my e34 dipstick tube so the seperator could drain into the pan.

Comment

Originally posted by hoveringuy View Post
        See my thread under "M54 foolishness...". I added the section to my e34 dipstick tube so the seperator could drain into the pan.
        Thanks! For anyone else interested, here is hoveringuy's picture:

Comment

What are the cons and pros of running the pcv back into the oil pan? There is gotta be some kind of function behind #2?
          Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

I deleted mine, it goes straight to the intake mani.

s52 0-150mph & more http://www.youtube.com/loonibab325i

Comment

Originally posted by loonibab325i View Post
              I deleted mine, it goes straight to the intake mani.
              Pure genius.:giggle:

The PCV system on the newer cars M52 and up really is based off a cyclone seperator that instead of dumping the gasses back into the intake (to presumably be burned during combustion) seperates the oil vapor and other gas and drains the oil back into the dipstick tube. In theory your engine will use less oil this way which becomes a more serious issue as oil change intervals continue to be extended out to lower maintenance costs.
              sigpicFormer professional wrench thrower.
              Current:
              1988 325is S52
              Former:
              2008 Sparkling Graphite M3 Sedan(victim of home ownership)
              1988 M5
              1996 328is

Comment

Originally posted by Jean View Post
                What are the cons and pros of running the pcv back into the oil pan? There is gotta be some kind of function behind #2?
                It separates the gases and oil mist from the mixture that seeps into the crankcase between the piston rings and block. This way, the gases aren't just released into the atmosphere to harm the ozone, AND the oil won't gunk up your air intake. Instead, the gas goes back through the engine, and the oil goes back into the crankcase.

Comment

Originally posted by dpgrand View Post
                  It separates the gases and oil mist from the mixture that seeps into the crankcase between the piston rings and block. This way, the gases aren't just released into the atmosphere to harm the ozone, AND the oil won't gunk up your air intake. Instead, the gas goes back through the engine, and the oil goes back into the crankcase.
                  I have heard some people say that once the oil is misted like that you don't really want to keep it...but I'm not sure how much of a threat to anything that really is.

Out of interest, I'm using an E30 M3 air/oil seperator on my M52 and collecting into a sealed tank...after a 1000-2000km there's bugger-all oil in the tank - and the butterfly still feels dry. So it's very little oil we're talking about - which I think probably negates any likelihood that the misted oil, even if it is bad, is going to significantly contaminate the rest of the oil. Anyway it'll be interesting to see just how much oil I catch over the years from the camshaft ventilation.

Comment

ccv

i tig welded a return tube to an e34 dipstick. i gonna try an s14 oil seperator or go the catch can route. will update shortly
                    1989 325ix(sold)
                    1989 325i sedan s52 powa (current)

Comment

The air oil separation device is only
                      Really on obd2 cars for emissions.

Similar logic is why the n54/55 engines have no dipstick; no vapor escape = less emissions

If one actually desired a high quality air oil separator / catch can Radium makes a great product proven in circuit use. You won’t need this for street use, unless your engine is in crappy shape and just sucking in oil at idle from blow by ; might be a useful band aid in that case

If your engine is crap nothing will band aid it to be not crap.
                      OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Working...
                      X