Belt squeal when being revved.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Belt squeal when being revved.

So i have a 89 325i 2 door, i live in Canada bought it out of Nashville. It was said to have a leak everyone thought it was transmission, it was just the power-steering lines. those are getting replaced shortly.

Anyway, when the car is turned on (parked in my garage for the winter) it sounds good and idles Ok but when i rev it, its an awful super loud screech from the belt.

My first thought is bad belt, i have a new one but just waiting for some answers. second thought is the power-steering pump is DRY cuz all the fluid has leaked out of the reservoir. third thought bad water pump but I hope its not. Guy who owned it before me took really good care and i think it was replaced 10k before i bought it. (when i drove the car i topped up the fluid and it didn't make it while driving, just revving it was a little angry)

Thanks to anyone who helps!

Well, check belt tension, on the longest run of a belt if you can rotate the belt through about 90 degrees, but not much more you're good.

Checking fluid is easy enough, and if the pump is a problem just take the PS belt off. The car will still be perfectly driveable without PS.

Comment

Oily belt from the leaky power steering pump will make it squeal.

Comment

pig stuck in fan will squeal, too.

t
        now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
          pig stuck in fan will squeal, too.

t
          quality:D , ill check for squealing pigs lol

Comment

Originally posted by EbzyyE30 View Post
            quality:D , ill check for squealing pigs lol
            You really need to watch it when you close the hood, they like to fly in just then.

Comment

Working...
            X