M guage cluster in non M car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M guage cluster in non M car

i was just wondering if the e30 m3 guage cluster would work in a non M car.... reason for new cluster would be..... mainly 8k tach, and 160 speedo, and there is also a motosport decal in the center that looks choice.....

just wondering how difficult it would be to get the tach to work propperly, seeing as how a 325 is a 6 cyl, and the m3 is a 4 cyl

http://www.westwerksauto.com

you just swap the coding plug out of your cluster into the ///M. Not sure how accurate the speedo and tach will be but they should be close :)
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

you'll also need a sending unit for the oil temp gauge

Comment

All the checkering units read different from
        what I understand, please correct me if I'm
        wrong though.
        「 Terror from the Rising Sun 」

Comment

which gas tank does the M3 have? big or small? The gauges are different..

Comment

my response in this thread may be helpful, as i swapped clusters a year or two ago.

i believe the m3 has the smaller gas tank, but i am not positive.

Comment

you could easily swap in a standard gas gauge from a non-m cluster, I would think.
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

do the needles pull off? if so then it's cake

Comment

Originally posted by Bryson
                  do the needles pull off? if so then it's cake
                  they do pull off.

i did not pull mine off though. the actual pointer of the needle is a thin piece of sheet metal that has tabs on the under side that hold onto the circular black plastic piece. this is the piece i swapped, didn't want to have to worry about repositioning the needle.

Comment

I didn't have to swap any gauges and they worked fine. Just swapped the coding chip. M3 cluster in 85 325e w/2.7 i engine.
                    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro
                      I didn't have to swap any gauges and they worked fine. Just swapped the coding chip. M3 cluster in 85 325e w/2.7 i engine.
                      i believe your 325e has the smaller fuel tank, like the m3. as opposed to my '89 325i. the m3 gas guage definitely did not read correctly in my car, and i'm sure it was a functional guage.

Comment

It's interesting, the ETK lists one part number for the fuel gauge for all e30s, although there were clearly two and I had to swap them going from a 318is cluster to a 325is cluster, then again when I added the large gas tank. I wonder which one you'll get if you order a new one--the big or small tank gauge... hmm

Comment

Working...
                        X