Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S14 Cylinder Head

SOLD

Hi everyone! This is a repost from a local forum, since my ad was not getting much attention there. If anyone is interested, please get in contact with me through PM. If possible, I would like to get this head sold before I decide it's time for the scrap heap.

While cleaning out the garage I found the old cylinder head from my dad's E30 M3. He blew a head gasket and had to have the head shaved. I have a thicker, high quality MLS headgasket that my dad was planning to use in combination with this cylinder head. Being a perfectionist, he was able to source a different cylinder head and was able to use that on his car.

The cylinder head is "complete" with valves/springs/retainers installed (no camshaft assembly). If I remember correctly all of the machining work/reassembly was done by Clearwater Cylinder Head, a local machine shop that reportedly had some experience with the S14 engine.

I would like to sell the head, but I'm not sure if anyone would be interested in it, considering the machining work that has been done on it. I'll post up some pictures later this afternoon. Unfortunately, I do not know how much material was removed. However, I took the head to Thomas at Cars and Concepts, a local performance shop. He was able to measure the head and give me some more insight into the work that was done. The head is almost 1mm under spec and varies under .5mm from end to end. With the thicker head gasket (I believe it was purchased through VAC Motorsports), it could be appropriate for someone doing a rebuild. The tops of the valve stems have also been shaved, but the head would have to be disassembled to determine by how much.

I am located in Clearwater, FL 33764. All shipping would be at the buyer's expense. I do my best to give an accurate description of everything I sell, but all my items are sold AS IS. It is the buyer's responsibility to request any additional information/pictures.

[EDIT] I guess I'm supposed to add a price. The only examples I could find were new/like new examples on ebay ($745) and craigslist ($2450WTF?). So, I'll start it at $300 OBO (*very* OBO) for the head (w/ springs/valves), the two head gaskets, and anything else M3-related I can find. I think I've found a valve cover gasket and a distributor rotor so far.

- James

UPDATE 5/31/2012

Here are some pictures of the head.

Here are the headgaskets I have. I remember my dad saying one of these wasn't really worthwhile (I think it may have been the Victor Reinz one). The thicker gasket looks to be MLS. Whoever buys the head can have everything in this picture as well as two VC gaskets I have hanging up in the garage (if you want them).

Here's a couple detail shots of some things I noticed:

There are a couple very shallow marks like these

And I also notice this weird textured area. I'm not sure what may have causes this. I can't tell if it is actually an abrasion to the metal or some kind of gasket sealer. It doesn't look like it is near a coolant channel or anything, so I don't think it would have much of an effect on the performance of the headgasket (my opinion).

There's a "collar" on this one bolt hole that is not evident on any of the others. It doesn't seem to affect the engagement of the threads, but I have no idea why it is there or if it is supposed to be that way.
    Last edited by blasphemy101; 10-23-2012, 01:12 PM. Reason: price change
    The Great Big M20 Timing Belt DIY

Some good information I've found online (no affiliation):
    Turbo Tech (Garrett)
    Four-cycle information and cam properties for beginners (ISKY Racing Cams)

What's the price?
    1986 911 Supercharged Frakenstrat/Stripped
    1987 325is Delphin/Black (Olga)
    1988 M3 Zinno/Natur (Elsa)

Manual or STFU

E30 Chapter of BMW Car Club of America
    E30 Oktoberfest 2017

Comment

Well that is interesting...except there's no price. = /
      "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
      88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
      89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
      91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Sorry for not posting a price...Since it's difficult to price items like this, I was hoping to go on a "best offer" basis. This is probably a good opportunity for someone to get a good deal, so offer up! :)

Turbo Tech (Garrett)

Comment

I *am* saving up for a J Stock set up ;)

Turbo Tech (Garrett)

Comment

Please note I'm seriously considering any and all offers.

Turbo Tech (Garrett)

Comment

Price drop - not that it really changes anything, considering I'm open to offers. I also found some exhaust gaskets that I'd throw in.

So to total (prices linked to their source):

.098" MLS Head Gasket: $200
              Victor Reinz standard Head Gasket: $90
              Ignition Rotor: $30
              Exhaust Gaskets: $40 ($10 each)

Cylinder Head: ????

~$360 in parts + the cylinder head

Turbo Tech (Garrett)

Comment

You may want to measure the head's thickness in 6 places. Because the head has been milled flat, it doesn't necessarely mean the head is straight. Please get some measures and I might be interested ;-)
                Last edited by Massive Lee; 09-22-2012, 05:48 PM.
                Brake harder. Go faster. No shit.

massivebrakes.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Massiv...78417442267056

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion, Lee. I don't have a caliper large enough to measure the head. I will see about taking it to the shop down the street to have it measured again. Sorry for the lack of response. School has been crazy lately.

I'd also like to add: at this point, I'm willing to split up the items. Feel free to make offers on anything I've mentioned in this thread. If anyone local is interested, I also have a transmission from the M3.

Turbo Tech (Garrett)

Comment

I'd buy the head if it measures within specs. Also, check for cracks in the combustion chamber.

Do you also have a cam carrier? BTW Don't hesitate to email me pictures with higher resolution ;-)

Lee
                    Brake harder. Go faster. No shit.

massivebrakes.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Massiv...78417442267056

Comment

@Lee - In the OP I mentioned the head has measured below spec. I will try to get it measured again as you suggested before I go out of town for a funeral for the weekend.

What kind of "cracks" would there be in the combustion chamber? Just so I know what I'm looking for.

I do not have a cam carrier.

PM me your email address and I will get some pictures out to you; I've already taken them for another member.

Thanks!

Turbo Tech (Garrett)

Comment

Pending

Turbo Tech (Garrett)

Comment

SOLD! Thanks everyone!

Turbo Tech (Garrett)

Comment

Working...
                          X