No announcement yet.

adjusting your timing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You of course can advance to the point of knocking but you have to be careful not doing so,

It´s laptop tuning and unlike the honda´s you don´t advance everything, you can advance any rpm point and load point seperatly,

buddy had a Nissan SR20 motor (140hp stock ) measured 170hp after SMT6, fuel and ignition tuning, don´t exspect that on a M20 though
    Gunni
    @ Prodrive / Aston Martin Racing

Comment

Originally posted by gstuning
      You of course can advance to the point of knocking but you have to be careful not doing so,

It´s laptop tuning and unlike the honda´s you don´t advance everything, you can advance any rpm point and load point seperatly,

buddy had a Nissan SR20 motor (140hp stock ) measured 170hp after SMT6, fuel and ignition tuning, don´t exspect that on a M20 though
      So there is no trick to advancing it, just being care? Alright. Time and patience is key then.

Speaking of the SR20....... My last car was a G20. You loosened the distrubtor, rotated it a lil which advanced the timing and coud give about 5hp supposedly.

Doing the same for the M20 would be very benefitial. But of course, the SR20 had a knock sensor :roll:.

Comment

Originally posted by rwh11385

So there is no trick to advancing it, just being care? Alright. Time and patience is key then.

Speaking of the SR20....... My last car was a G20. You loosened the distrubtor, rotated it a lil which advanced the timing and coud give about 5hp supposedly.

Doing the same for the M20 would be very benefitial. But of course, the SR20 had a knock sensor :roll:.
        Didn't you just read the thread? There is no mechanical way to adjust the timing on an m20b25. About the best way would be to drop 300+ on an SMT6 and dick around from there.

Don't you already have a Jim C chip? If that's the case, your timing is already advanced, going much beyond that is gonna burn a piston or otherwise toast the nmotor.

-Charlie
        Swing wild, brake later, don't apologize.
        '89 324d, '76 02, '98 318ti, '03 Z4, '07 MCS, '07 F800s - Bonafide BMW elitist prick.
        FYYFF

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie

Didn't you just read the thread? There is no mechanical way to adjust the timing on an m20b25. About the best way would be to drop 300+ on an SMT6 and dick around from there.

Don't you already have a Jim C chip? If that's the case, your timing is already advanced, going much beyond that is gonna burn a piston or otherwise toast the nmotor.

-Charlie
          yes yes. I've been reading the thread. :roll: I was saying I experienced horsepower gain by advancing the timing in the SR20. (When I said "doing the same with the M20.....I meant adjusting the timing, not messing with the distrubtor.....) I know SMT6 is the only practical way to adjust timing and A/F on the E30, affordably. :D

I used to have a Dinan chip, but sold it a while ago. Once my head is fixed and the car is running, I want a SMT6.....with a MAF :twisted:.

A JC wouldn't do me much more good, unless I wanted to pay $100-125 for a raised rev-limiter and already tuned ignition timing......I dunno, maybe. Then all I'd have to worry about would be A/F.

My question was WITH THE SMT6, is there anyway to advance it safely, or is it just a slow and careful process?

Comment

You make a educated guess on how much the motor can see in advancing on it´s already advanced timing when under WOT,
            I would think that another 4-7 degress would be good, I also reccomend that you get the best fuel in your local area, safety first right!
            Gunni
            @ Prodrive / Aston Martin Racing

Comment

I also reccomend that you get the best fuel in your local area, safety first right!
              Oh yeah. The only two good reasons to live in Indiana: No emissions and Good Gas 8). Like $1.59-1.79 a tank 93 Octane Good Gas! :D

Comment

Like $1.59-1.79 a tank 93 Octane Good Gas! :D
                :woowoo:
                I pay around 2.45/gal for 92 octane :P

As far as safely tuning it, a wide band o2 sensor would probably be safer than upping your timing and hoping the engine doesn't blow.

Comment

Working...
                X