Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

? for any one who has wired the AUX fan to a switch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

? for any one who has wired the AUX fan to a switch?

Ok guys on my 85 318i I pulled all the Ac stuff and wired the Aux fan to a switch and secured it in the engine bay with zip ties. The car has had the battery moved the the trunk. So first I wired the fan as follows. Inline fuse holder right by the battery junction box-runs to a lighted switch mounted beside the E-brake, then up to the fan itself. This worked fine but the switch kept getting hot and eventualy welded itself together.
    So then I wired the fan to a relay instaid of directly to the switch. So the wiring now goes from the In-line fuse holder to the switch, then to the trigger pin on the relay, then the main 12 volt source for the relay has it's own In-line fuse holder wired in to the junction box then from there the relay powers the fan. This worked fine but I'm blowing 30 amp fuses like crazy. I'm not blowing the fuse for the switch but the fuse that powers the relay. The one time the Fuse actualy melted and I had to cut it out of the fuse holder and replace the holder. So I'm wondering if you guys have wired in the Aux fan to a switch how did you wire it? And also what Amperage does the Fan draw as it must be over 30 amps? I'd like to fix this as Eventually I'll be wiring the aux fan in my 88 325is to the temp switch on the radiator and don't want to go threw this same trouble again.
    85 325e 2.7 ITB'd stroker

use the factory AC switch, it'll only turn on the aux fan if all other AC components are removed... why over complicate things?

Comment

Why? Becuase the Fan resitor was cracked and would not work I didn't want to buy a new one so I wired around it. I believe that I tried something with the switch but there was some problem. It's been over a year and a half since I wired it but it's just recently been blowing the fuse and I only drive it once a week.
      85 325e 2.7 ITB'd stroker

Comment

Working...
      X