Advice on alignment results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice on alignment results

So I recently had my 325i aligned and these are the results. It pulls to the right when on the highway which is why I had it aligned, but it's still doing it. I think it's due to my thrust angle being off. It might be time for me to drop some $$$ to refresh the rear bushings.

Do you think that'll help remedy this? Also what do you think of the camber/toe values in the rear as well? I'm considering investing in an adjustable setup in the rear but man it's not cheap.

Aftermarket parts:

- Eibach springs
    - Bilstein shocks
    - E30 M3 adjustable sway bar conversion in front
    - E30 M3 CABs
    - Racing Dynamics 15in Wheels

Rear Total Toe: 0.37
    Rear Thrust Angle: -0.25

Front Total Toe: 0.35
    Front Steer Ahead: -0.01

Right Rear
    Toe: 0.43
    Camber: -3.4

Left Rear
    Toe: -0.06
    Camber: -2.0

Right Front
    Toe: 0.18
    Caster: 8.8
    Camber: -2.8

Left Front
    Toe: 0.17
    Caster: 9.2
    Camber: -1.3

[IMG]IMG_0035 by vabbster, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Last edited by vabbster; 02-12-2019, 08:38 PM.

yeah, that rear toe is throwing things off. toe out in the back is not good..

at the very least you need trailing arm bushings. Subframe bushings shouldn't significantly affect alignment, but if you have the subframe out to do the trailing arms, you may as well do the subframe bushings too.

The camber itself isn't a big deal, almost any tuned E30 is going to have camber way outside of "stock" ranges, but you still want the toe to be closer to stock (or at least toe in, which you should have if lowered anyway).
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

You’ve got something bent in the front, and the rear needs fresh bushings.
      2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
      2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
      1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
      1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
      - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
      1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
      1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
      Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
        yeah, that rear toe is throwing things off. toe out in the back is not good..

at the very least you need trailing arm bushings. Subframe bushings shouldn't significantly affect alignment, but if you have the subframe out to do the trailing arms, you may as well do the subframe bushings too.

The camber itself isn't a big deal, almost any tuned E30 is going to have camber way outside of "stock" ranges, but you still want the toe to be closer to stock (or at least toe in, which you should have if lowered anyway).
        Yeah I figured I'd do the subframe, trailing arms, and diff bushings while I have things apart. I'm just a bit worried that I'll replace all those things and it'll still be out of alignment for some reason... I might bite the bullet and either buy an adjustable subframe from garagastic because I don't have the tools to do the welding myself right now... What would ideal numbers look like in the rear? Around -2.0 camber?

Comment

Originally posted by nrubenstein View Post
          You’ve got something bent in the front, and the rear needs fresh bushings.
          That would suck. I noticed the camber is out of range but I assume that's because it's lowered and has M3 CABs. Is it the caster that makes you think something is bent? Also, do you think asking for 0.0 toe up front would be better next time?

Comment

That much different in rear toe should be visible to naked eye? must look pretty bent?

I lowered mine a reasonable amount, and the toe in is very pronounced without measuring.

Comment

The right front camber is way too high for a car with stock parts-

I agree something's bent, and that's 85% of the pull. The difference
              in caster also doesn't help.

Also, the right rear is probably bent, too. The toe could be bushings-
              altho a decent shop will tug on it, and if it moves, pull it off the rack and tell you 'go fix it'-
              but with the camber so different side- to- side, that ain't right.

.5 degrees toe- out will make it head all over the place when the right's loaded more
              than the left, and in transition between.

t
              now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by vabbster View Post
                That would suck. I noticed the camber is out of range but I assume that's because it's lowered and has M3 CABs. Is it the caster that makes you think something is bent? Also, do you think asking for 0.0 toe up front would be better next time?
                0 toe is not more stable. 0 toe is a compromise between running lots of camber (which you aren’t) and tire wear. The car will drive best with a little toe in.

The reason why I say you have something bent in front is the enormous delta in left-right camber. It’s never going to be exactly the same without camber plates, but one side should not have double the camber of the other. And that *will* impact handling.

It’s a reasonably safe assumption that your rear suspension bushings are trashed, but I am a little bit concerned that the LEFT rear may also be bent. The right rear is showing the kind of (bad) alignment spec that I would expect in a lowered E30. The left rear is showing toe out and “good” camber, which are both not normal.
                2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
                2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
                1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
                1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
                Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Hmmm, yeah, you might be right about the left...heh.
                  Without knowing ride height, rear camber's a variable.

But we both agree- the difference between left and right ain't normal,
                  unless your ride height is 1" different left to right.

And then, well, if that's true, there's your problem...

t
                  would be replacing lots of parts at this point.
                  now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Working...
                  X