How to fit a (any) puller fan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to fit a (any) puller fan?

I've been trying to figure out how to fit a puller fan on my S52 swapped E30 since the temp starts to climb higher than I'd like. the closest I've found is the diesel fan but trimmed fins, the problem is I can't find one that's for sale (and I don't trust ECS).

is this the only option? ideally I'd like to use the diesel fan or the spal electric fan but I just see NO way that it fits anywhere or anyway

car setup: electric pusher fan, AC, mishimoto E36 radiator, Stewart water pump, 80C thermostat

or is there another setup that would work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From my experience, the e36 diesel fan will fit a couple of ways. You can put the fan on the backside of the fan clutch and notch the blades ( otherwise it'll hit the vanos protrusion area on the valve cover).

Or you can mount the fan to the front side of the fan clutch, but you have to use a stock m20 radiator, as the core is thin enough for the fan to clear properly.

Some people use the stock m20 fan and clutch setup as well, but it's also a tight squeeze. Also the first post in the Post Your M/S5X 24V Swap Setup thread shows an electric puller fan, but I'm not sure of the core size differences between the OE style radiators vs the Mishimoto.

Comment

Originally posted by mtech325 View Post
      From my experience, the e36 diesel fan will fit a couple of ways. You can put the fan on the backside of the fan clutch and notch the blades ( otherwise it'll hit the vanos protrusion area on the valve cover).

Or you can mount the fan to the front side of the fan clutch, but you have to use a stock m20 radiator, as the core is thin enough for the fan to clear properly.

Some people use the stock m20 fan and clutch setup as well, but it's also a tight squeeze. Also the first post in the Post Your M/S5X 24V Swap Setup thread shows an electric puller fan, but I'm not sure of the core size differences between the OE style radiators vs the Mishimoto.

yeah I've read through that thread and basically came to the conclusion after comparing to another swap that my engine is just too close, like over 1/4" closer. not really sure how to remedy that but that's a big part of the issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You should not need a fan to keep from running hot. I've ran the M50 in my e34 in 90° weather with the ac on, in traffic and not had issues. Perhaps you have air in the coolant system?

What do you consider too hot?

Comment

Working...
        X