S52 lifter help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S52 lifter help please

Does anyone know about using vw ltw “INA 309” 35mm lifters in an s52? I was reading they are lighter and handle rpm better.

I found the post about the Ina 309 lifters in an old for sale ad for vac 286/272 dominator cams from an e36 m3.

Hoping someone knows the full part number. Thanks!

No. S52 has 33mm lifters. Not 35mm. Only m50 without vanos has 35mm lifters that you could replace with those VW ones. And yes in those there is benefit in that, because the m50NV 35mm lifters are quite heavy and clunky compared to the INA VW lifters that have same design as m52/S52 lifters

Comment

Ah thank you for clearing that up. Much appreciated

Comment

Originally posted by pazi88 View Post
        Only m50 without vanos has 35mm lifters that you could replace with those VW ones.

Actually, the 93 325is with Vanos also has 35mm lifters. I'm not sure when the change to 33mm lifters took place. Probably sometime between the 93s and the 95 M3.

Comment

IIRC, Nisse has been running the 33mm lifters on his turbo'd M52 to 8000RPM with upgraded cams/springs for a handful of years with no issues, so you should be fine for anything you can rev an S52 to.
          Originally posted by priapism
          My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
          Originally posted by shameson
          Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by Jaker View Post
            Actually, the 93 325is with Vanos also has 35mm lifters. I'm not sure when the change to 33mm lifters took place. Probably sometime between the 93s and the 95 M3.

This would be correct. At the same time the lifters were upgraded to the 33mm, the spring retainers were upgraded as well - the earlier design was known to break in half and drop valves. 35mm m50 lifters weigh ~77gm, VW are ~48, and from memory the s50 are within a gm of the VW 35mm.
            john@m20guru.com
            Links:
            Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Working...
            X