No announcement yet.

How To Guide - E36 Steering Rack Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can pick up correctly sized spacers at Home Depot on the cheap.

Comment

Just curious to see what toe others have gotten post swap and alignment.

After mine yesterday I am at LF-.14; RF-.15 for total toe .29

I'm still trying to figure out the math behind my rear toe getting worse from .11 (b/f) and now .14 total toe.
      I love that people ask stupid questions so I dont have.

Comment

Should have whatever toe it was aligned to?
        Originally posted by priapism
        My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
        Originally posted by shameson
        Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

I just had my bud zero the toe.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
          -Build http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=295277

Comment

Originally posted by FLG View Post
            I just had my bud zero the toe.

Thats what I asked for, and shop said they couldnt get it any closer.

Comment

Originally posted by mccor023 View Post
              Thats what I asked for, and shop said they couldnt get it any closer.
              New outer tie rods?

Comment

Originally posted by FLG View Post
                New outer tie rods?

New inner/ outer. Rebuilt maval, new m3 offset cabs, new st sway w new end links. I could go on, but.

Comment

Hmm not doubting the shop but is it possible they simply were lazy and didn't Wana keep playing with it? It took us just a bit to dial it in perfectly.

Comment

I'm in the process of doing the z3 rack swap. I got a hold of the oe bmw z3 rack, part #1 092 031. not the zf. I notice that this z3 rack doesn't have the notch for the locking plate for the tie rod assembly. Is this suppose to be torqued down or use some other locking plates that I am not aware of?
                    sigpic
                    327is
                    325es
                    325es
                    318is
                    Fiesta ST
                    E46 M3

Comment

I've not install a Z3 1.9l rack yet but I would at least use a little blue locktite.

Comment

Have the Z3 rack; a little annoyed it doesn't have lock-plates, but eh..

I ended up just using red Loctite on my knuckle; wanted to make sure that junk doesn't come off

My only thing I'm scared about is that I ended up using the same red Loctite on my inner-tie rod. Hopefully I never have to remove it haha

Ended up doing on a non-airbag car
                        To further add; since there is much less info on the Z3 rack:

I HAD to buy spacers to be safe; using AKG's knuckle spacers ensure that you can use the knuckle lining notch on the rack spline to insert the locking-bolt. If you want to grind down your bolt, you don't have to buy the spacers. I am getting binding, so I suggest grinding down an rounding off the squared off U-joint parts; what I will be planning on doing once my car is back on the lift.

BOTH e30 power steering hose fit easy; all I had to do was give it a 45* bend in the HP line so that it was a perfect 90* so it would actually mount. Once I mounted it, I again bent it up, out of the way of the knuckle. The second e30 hose fit fine. Both hoses fit snuggly over the engine mount, like it does with the e30 rack, not in front of it

Ended up using e36 (actually z3, but they are essentially the same) tie rods. Fit the struts no problem

I mounted my spacers above the rack, but I am hearing people mounting them below to combat bump steer; I will be swapping them shortly after my little bugs are troubleshooted
                        Last edited by JinormusJ; 09-01-2013, 09:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KVF View Post
                          You can pick up correctly sized spacers at Home Depot on the cheap.
                          where specifically and how would I find it ?

My don't quote me list:

Originally posted by george graves
                          I could be wrong, but I don't think it's a smog test type of thing. IIRC think it's against CA law to *sell* a dual outlet muffler as a replacement for a car that came from the factory with a single. But don't quote me on that.

Comment

Originally posted by JinormusJ View Post

I mounted my spacers above the rack, but I am hearing people mounting them below to combat bump steer; I will be swapping them shortly after my little bugs are troubleshooted
                            I don't have any personal experience with it, but this sounds like a good argument for putting spacers on top:
                            Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

I ended up having little to almost no bump-steer having them mounted up top.

The fat lazy guy in me just left it since it doesn't seem to be harming anything

Comment

Above for me, no bump steer

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Working...
                                X