Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why doesn't anyone sell a brake booster relocation kit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why doesn't anyone sell a brake booster relocation kit?

For V8 swaps we have brake booster elimination brackets (small OD single and double MC), hydroboost setups which have to be hodgepodged (unless LS1 swap) or the old school e34 brake booster relocation setup which takes ingenuity to install.

Someone should capitalize on creating a kit that adapts the e34 setup into the E30, or a fully aftermarket hydroboost setup eg. including hoses/hydroboost mc/brackets/pushrod etc. that works with the m60/m62.
    Your resource to do-it-yourself and interesting bmw and e30 stuff: www.rtsauto.com

Your resource to tools and tips: www.rtstools.com

I wonder how well an electric car vacuum booster would work in an e30. (video is not with e30)
    A detailed look at a "thomas" type vacuum pump, trying different mufflers, and vibration isolating the pump.

Comment

When you get the manual brakes setup right, it's a non-issue.
      sigpic

Comment

Because the E34 Remote booster set up works well, and really isn't that hard to re-engineer to work...
        Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

Originally posted by delamaize View Post
          Because the E34 Remote booster set up works well, and really isn't that hard to re-engineer to work...
          Re-engineering something as critical as your brakes is a bit iffy. While some people are capable of doing it, most people will probably be using a long bent rod + various welds they just made using a flux mig welder they just bought.
          Your resource to do-it-yourself and interesting bmw and e30 stuff: www.rtsauto.com

Comment

I'm trying to find an M60 swap locally to test the LS1 hydroost sikky kit on an M60 swap.

Comment

The booster linkage itself doesn't really need 're-engineered', and I don't really see any way to sell a 'kit' to make it easier to install. You can easily make brackets to bolt the assembly on as-is, as it would be in an e34. It's a bulletproof system. Nothing wears out, nothing breaks, it feels/works like OEM because it is OEM.

Rearranging the brake/clutch pedal linkage is a little more involved, and I do see an opportunity there for someone to make and sell the parts required.

Mine has nearly 30k miles on it over the past 3 years, haven't had a single issue.

85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
              e30 restoration and V8 swap
              24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
                The booster linkage itself doesn't really need 're-engineered', and I don't really see any way to sell a 'kit' to make it easier to install. You can easily make brackets to bolt the assembly on as-is, as it would be in an e34. It's a bulletproof system. Nothing wears out, nothing breaks, it feels/works like OEM because it is OEM.

Rearranging the brake/clutch pedal linkage is a little more involved, and I do see an opportunity there for someone to make and sell the parts required.

Mine has nearly 30k miles on it over the past 3 years, haven't had a single issue.
                I think you hit the nail on the head, its the rearranging of the brake/clutch pedal linkages that is the real opportunity here for a kit/pre-made for a core charge.

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post

This is exactly what I'm planning on doing, Except, I may have a plan that will allow me to keep my pedals stock also.....
                  Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

Might be nice if someone made a ready to bolt/weld in bracket instead of that factory AL part?
                    Originally posted by Matt-B
                    hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

That just looks like a rube goldberg machine to me.

Comment

Except for the strut tower gusset in the middle of the brace, that's exactly how BMW built them from the factory in V8 E32's and E34's. It's definitely... German.

Comment

I'm not sure why everyone is so terrified of it or thinks it's some complex concoction of parts. There's a total of three moving parts. It's a lever. I literally have never seen any part of this system fail, in any way, ever. It requires zero maintenance. It's available for about $20 at any junkyard. I can understand if some people don't want a booster, there are valid reasons for that and I get that, but to say the e34 system is inferior in some way due to the linkages doesn't really make any sense.

85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
                          e30 restoration and V8 swap
                          24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Working...
                          X