Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I finally bought an e30!!! and I cant get it to run.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I finally bought an e30!!! and I cant get it to run.

hey everyone, Im a long time e46 guy and I finally got an e30 for a project.

It's an 87 325e. According to the guy I bought it from he has been using it for a dd for years. the intake boot was ripped to sheds and he told me that was the only problem. Changed that and realized it was popping fuse 10. traced out the short and drove it for an hour yesterday with no problems other that the fact that it wont run over 3500 rpm. (feels like its hitting the rev limiter?) went out to start it today and it doesn't want to run. It wont idle for anything and when I get it moving it feels like its missing.

Nothing has changed since it was running smooth, at least to 3500 rpm.

any ideas on what this could be?

thanks,
    -Colin

seems like you have a fuel delivery issue, or another vaccum leak

congrats on the e30!
    1989 cirrisblau-metallic 325i

Comment

Good to see another FL e30 owner!

hope you get this problem solved!

'73 2002 m20 turbo [sold] '87 rat rod 325is [couch modded] '91 vert [daily] '88 325is [spec build v1] '84 325 [spec build v2] '99 323i vert [sold]

Comment

Originally posted by SpecM View Post
        seems like you have a fuel delivery issue, or another vaccum leak

congrats on the e30!
        Thanks!
        It seems like its running lean to me. I was hoping it was just going to be a neglected fuel filter but no. I changed it and it is still doing the same thing. as far as the vacuum leak goes. If there is one I sure as hell haven't been able to find it. this things driving me crazy.

Well I'm throwing in the towel. Im hauling it to my mechanic today.

Originally posted by AbsorbantNut View Post
        Good to see another FL e30 owner!

hope you get this problem solved!
        Ft. Lauderdale huh, I was born there and a bunch of my cousins still live there. I love that town, The bars are open till 4!!!

Comment

Well i just dropped it off with my mechanic and went to back it off the trailer and it wouldn't start. I start lookin into it and now there is no spark!

Comment

The cause of that will be a bad timing reference sensor, bad main relay, ignition (spark) system fault, wiring fault, or a bad DME. Given the previous behavior of the 3500rpm "limit" I'd start with the CPS.
            The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
            Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
              The cause of that will be a bad timing reference sensor, bad main relay, ignition (spark) system fault, wiring fault, or a bad DME. Given the previous behavior of the 3500rpm "limit" I'd start with the CPS.
              Yeah I was thinking the same thing this morning and my mechanic confirmed that he thinks that the cps is the most likely problem.

Any one have an idea of how much it would be to have that changed?

Comment

Well, it turns out even if its the same mechanic you have been using for years and he always treats you right if you tell him there is no immediate rush he sticks you on the back burner for three weeks.

Finally got the car fixed. Damn cps failed. I drove it around the block a few times and am very happy with how the motor runs. The little eta is peppier than i expected!

Tranny mounts, control arms, a skid plate, and some suspension and ill be ready for rallycross!

Comment

[quote=tranny mounts, control arms, a skid plate, and some suspension and ill be ready for rallycross![/quote]

and boost :d

Comment

Is jlevie good or what. Called that spot on:up:

'73 2002 m20 turbo [sold] '87 rat rod 325is [couch modded] '91 vert [daily] '88 325is [spec build v1] '84 325 [spec build v2] '99 323i vert [sold]

Comment

Working...
                    X