No announcement yet.

DIY--TIG Welder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

looks straight legit. I however would drop the two large for the piece of mind that my will not blow and melt me to the concrete.

Comment

OK How hard is this to get?

120 5.5 hp motor-(like the one on your compressor--if your serious in the shop) with belt attached pully to 140 amp alt--internal rectifier removed so it sees full duty.

The only 240v AC is the supply for the compressor motor--Then then off the shelf transformer converts to 12v DC (does 12v DC sound familiar ?)where the potentiometer regulates field input voltage. Use off the shelf stinger and make ground clamp.

Not to sound insulting but--Am I the only one who passed shop class?

And Farbin--you need a job to drop 2k-
      Last edited by OrganicMechanic; 12-19-2008, 05:38 PM.

join the E30 Cabrio owners gruppe
      click here for details

Comment

im special

Originally posted by OrganicMechanic View Post

120 5.5 hp motor-(like the one on your compressor--if your serious in the shop) with belt attached pully to 140 amp alt--internal rectifier removed so it sees full duty.

The only 240v AC is the supply for the compressor motor--Then then off the shelf transformer converts to 12v DC (does 12v DC sound familiar ?)where the potentiometer regulates field input voltage. Use off the shelf stinger and make ground clamp.

i could have gotten electronics certified but was too lazy to take my test and forget too much. =)

i feel confident enough to build this if that makes you feel better Organicmechanic :stupid::up:
        Originally posted by Lof8
        4 doors allow you to transport more whores.
        therefore, their value is much greater.
        Down to: 89 aw2 332i/4/5 , 70 Sahara 2002

Comment

Not too shabby. But then again, the cost of inverter tig/stick machines has dropped significantly and you can get a cheap 240v inverter welder for like 250 bucks, if one were so inclined.
          My 2.9L Build!

Originally posted by Ernest Hemingway
          There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.

Comment

I could deal with 250

have link to said item?

click here for details

Comment

how bout that

Originally posted by Lof8
              4 doors allow you to transport more whores.
              therefore, their value is much greater.
              Down to: 89 aw2 332i/4/5 , 70 Sahara 2002

Comment

I would buy that.

click here for details

Comment

Originally posted by OrganicMechanic View Post

You obviously didn't pass English.
                  Byron
                  Leichtbau

Comment

I'll pick something like that up after the new year.

Comment

I think organics tig is a better unit than china junk guess what will last longer. I spent $1400 on a plasma cutter because I wanted one that will last, nice job :pimp:

This place is like catholic school, 2/3 of the students smoke weed on a daily basis, but the faculty seems to convince the outside world that drugs are just in the other schools, the resident pot dealer thinks he's cool because he has the originality to call anyone he doesn't like a homosexual, and most of the little children follow him like sheep, then there's the few with brains, you hardly ever hear from them, perhaps don't even know they exist, but they get all the sh!t done.

Comment

OrganicMechanic...

:loco: That's insane...

...But I dig it.

Comment

I don't get why all of you fucking weenies are so "scared" of this welder.

WTF?

It is an alternator and an electric motor, for fucks sake. Would you guys feel safe if he built a metal shroud around it?

This is for welding. Welding is dangerous. The contraption he built is a powerful machine, no doubt...but you guy s are saying you would trust harbor freight "hecho in china" junk over this welder?

I put my money on the motor/alternator instead of chinese transformers.

That welder rocks.

Closing SOON!
                          "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

This is really what you need though:

But there is something ultra cool about this:

Comment

Originally posted by DCColegrove View Post
                              This is really what you need though:

This is the newer version of the exact machine I use everyday at work. It is unbelievable. We have a lincoln squarewave aswell and the miller is head and shoulders above the lincoln. There is really no comparison especially when it comes to arc-starting. Before I used that machine I really had no preference when it came to welders, not anymore. Miller all the way.

Comment

those are VERY nice rigs but for the budget minded home home shop the DIY version is not a bad option.

click here for details

Comment

Working...
                                X