No announcement yet.

Project TougE30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stock rebuilt engines are most economical decision you'll make... in the long run.
    Paynemw
    1986 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - Sold!
    the ebb and flow of 325is ownership - In RVA
    1988 BMW 535is - RIP but my dream BMW

Comment

Originally posted by paynemw View Post
      Stock rebuilt engines are most economical decision you'll make... in the long run.
      I agree. The m52 was a good choice to replace the m20 since its more modern and can take some abuse.

Comment

A small break then back to work.

I had to wait a few days for my ecu to return from kassel performance and my buddy will being welding my exhaust on Wednesday. I decided to get out of town for the day. Right before leaving, I did my valve cover gasket and those gaskets were rock hard. I'm glad the valvetrain looked great. Also, here is a picture of the other caps I pulled.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5320.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	7197879

Name:	31155903058_546d46a416_h.jpg
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	7197875

Name:	44309273334_d16a08e36e_h.jpg
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	7197876

Name:	44309273194_f05211ee23_h.jpg
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	7197877

Name:	43925395045_0df0419978_k.jpg
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	7197878

Comment

Finally have the E30 sorted out. I finished the exhaust, but the original v-bands broke on a dip. Replaced them with vibrant v-bands. Kassel retuned my dme. Kevin from flim flam speed got me back on his dyno. We made 186hp/176tq which I think is pretty good for a basic m52 with an m50 manifold. Anyone have any alignment specs that work well for the E30? I have rear adjusters as well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

End of a chapter

Well r3v friends, this might be the end of this e30. I found rust in a tough spot after ripping up my soaking carpet after driving in a moderate downpour. The chassis has seen it's fair share of abuse and it might be time to retire. I'd love to shell swap the e30,but I don't know if I'm motivated enough to do it.

Name:	45807318_263886247608233_8901882438985187328_n.jpg
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	7201157

Name:	45997354_365906170818624_4691890061619232768_n.jpg
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	7201158

Comment

Absolutely horrible. Is it doable with a weld?

Comment

Originally posted by e30RS View Post
                Absolutely horrible. Is it doable with a weld?
                Unfortunately, I highly doubt its fixable. I'm sure an experienced welder could make it happen for a pretty penny. I might get a quote.

Comment

Originally posted by Tougerunner01 View Post
                  Unfortunately, I highly doubt its fixable. I'm sure an experienced welder could make it happen for a pretty penny. I might get a quote.

So what exactly happens if you daily drive with rust like this and never plan to autox? I'm looking at an e30 m20 the same condition

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Sonny View Post
                    So what exactly happens if you daily drive with rust like this and never plan to autox? I'm looking at an e30 m20 the same condition

The rust is there. I'm just aware of it. When it's raining, I know i have to check for water inside the car even though I put a bandaid on it. Aside from that, I daily drive like normal and beat on the car. I drove with a hole under my accelerator pedal for 2-3 months before fixing it. I was always weary of something flying up and hitting my foot. Luckily, that never happened.

Comment

You wanna scrap the chassis for that tiny little rust hole? You could probably tidy it up and fix it with a small patch held in with automotive adhesive and be fine if you can't manage to find a welder.

Comment

Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post
                        You wanna scrap the chassis for that tiny little rust hole? You could probably tidy it up and fix it with a small patch held in with automotive adhesive and be fine if you can't manage to find a welder.
                        That would hold up well? My trunk is starting to rust

Comment

I'm actually getting an estimate soon to see what it cost to fix and assess from there. We have a reputable welder in town and I forgot he fixed a few e30s for friends, so we'll see.

Comment

You showed me yours, I'll show you mine...

Both the footwells in my car were same as yours, if not worse.
                            If you find a really good welder willing to do the proper work for you, they can weld'em up for you so good, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference!
                            It totally doable without taking the whole car apart, just move all the wiring to a safe location (banjo ropes are your friend) and protect glass and upholstery/dash while cutting and welding. Seal it up good and it will last you more than a decade.
                            Bottom line is, don't scrap it - repair and enjoy it. Please.
                            '85 Alpine Weiß 2-door with m20b30 ground up build

Comment

Originally posted by gnmzl View Post
                              You showed me yours, I'll show you mine...

Both the footwells in my car were same as yours, if not worse.
                              If you find a really good welder willing to do the proper work for you, they can weld'em up for you so good, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference!
                              It totally doable without taking the whole car apart, just move all the wiring to a safe location (banjo ropes are your friend) and protect glass and upholstery/dash while cutting and welding. Seal it up good and it will last you more than a decade.
                              Bottom line is, don't scrap it - repair and enjoy it. Please.
                              Thank you for this reply. This is good to see.

Comment

scrapping shells is for cowards
                                sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

Working...
                                X