No announcement yet.

Project Lessmeister: 91 318iS Restomod w/ MTech2 and modern drivetrain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today truly was the day of a million check marks, as I worked my way down my list checking off one small item after another. Mainly cleanup and finnessing things I'd already done, but also work like drilling the 2 dozen holes on the drivers side for the MTech 2 skirts and side cladding on the drivers side.

With all of that out of the way I spent the majority of the day working on the rear bumper. Finishing the exhaust outlet area and preparing the rest of the bumper for paint.

I still need to apply some high build primer to the exhaust cutout section to find/fill any pinholes and check the overall contour which is difficult to see with your eye and all the odd shaped color layers.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
    https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

Incredible detail going into this build. I look forward to reading this every day, keep up the good work!
      Instagram: @dillonmakar

Build thread HERE

Comment

Subscribed.
        How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

3 days and no updates?? 8)
          sigpic
          Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
          92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
          88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
          88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
          87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
          12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Ha. Just because there isn't an update does not mean I haven't been working on the project, but if there is nothing to take pictures of....

Monday I spent some time gathering up some parts from work to add to my increasingly large pile in the back that I'll bring home after the car leaves for paint, and last night I did a few more small items on the car, like removing the tool kit foam from the underside of the lid so paint can extend under it. I found it was available new and is only like $15 so why not.

Removing the foam was fine, removing the adhesive residue was miserable....

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan View Post

Removing the foam was fine, removing the adhesive residue was miserable....
              What did you use to do it? I am in the midst of that hell myself.

And this is a way inspiring build thread, man! Thanks for sharing it!
              Originally posted by LJ851
              kingston is the play by play announcer for this thread.
              ‘Tis by the grace of God that my cars run!

Originally posted by unloadedak
              #teamross
              Siobhan's Build Thread - UPDATED!

Comment

Originally posted by kingston View Post
                What did you use to do it? I am in the midst of that hell myself.
                I used a nylon scraper tool so I couldn't tear up the paint. That scraped off all the actual foam that wasn't infused with adhesive.

I then used a folded over microfiber towel saturated with automotive paint reducer to soften the adhesive and scrape it off with the same nylon tool in layers.

I'm sure any solvent is going to work more or less the same. I was wearing gloves and the reducer quickly evaporates leaking little boogie like balls of incredibly sticky adhesive soaked foam stuck to your hands lol.

After all of it was cleaned off I just prepped the shiny paint once under the foam with the same red scotchbrite and you can't tell it was ever there.

I don't expect to be able to work on the car this evening but I did push through my 2nd order with BMW of Houston North today.... another $2500 worth of new parts. Dashboard, glovebox, knee panel, rear console, black carpet, sound insulation, door weather seals, M-Technic door sills, interior A/B pillar covers, buttons, knobs, gaskets, seals and assorted clips, screws and other misc hardware I overlooked on the first order.

Comment

Thanks for the info, Jordan!
                  Originally posted by LJ851
                  kingston is the play by play announcer for this thread.
                  ‘Tis by the grace of God that my cars run!

Originally posted by unloadedak
                  #teamross
                  Siobhan's Build Thread - UPDATED!

Comment

At work, we often have to clean sticky tape residue off the floor. We use brake clean and a scotchbrite pad. The scotchbrite allows the glue to go somewhere instead of just smearing around. Works great.

Comment

That would probably work better. I was using a microfiber towel for the same reason but it quickly loaded up.

Some change of plans this afternoon when I got a call that it was time to bring the car in for paint, and my friend with the trailer could do it tomorrow. This meant a couple things had to be knocked out tonight I had not planned on. Late night but now the shell is ready to go.

I had to add another shim to the passenger door to get it to sit flush depth wise with the new fender, and I sealed the tops of the fenders to the body cowl while reproducing the OE style as best as possible. I used black urethane adhesive here, basically 2 part undercoat, applied with a gun to form a decent bead.

Once sanded and painted it should be close enough to the OE look that no one would think the fenders had been changed. I've seen a lot of E30's with replaced fenders but I've never seen any attempt to reproduce this finishing touch.

Comment

I swear I read it in here somewhere, but what color are you going with?

Comment

but more importantly

Originally posted by AndrewBird View Post
                          I swear I read it in here somewhere, but what engine are you going with?
                          Simon
                          Current Cars:
                          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Both have been posted, but I don't mind covering it again.

The color will be Imolarot II.

The drivetrain will be a M54b30, 320z transmission, and 3.46 Torsen diff.

Comment

Got the E30 dropped off at Imperial Collision yesterday thanks to my friend Thad who trailered it down while I was at work. I stopped by this morning to take care of details and talk to the owner and the staff about the job.

I was told to expect a 4 week turn around given the scope of work, but it may be completed sooner depending on work load. I have to bring all the small loose parts, bumpers, side paneling, trim, etc next weekend.

I still have a bit of work to do all the loose parts, and then a lot of work to do on suspension and interior stuff while the car is at paint. The thread won't stall just because the car is at paint.

Last bit of effort needed on the front and rear bumpers was the places I'd done significant work. These needed high build primer, a final blocking, then a final coat of primer to assure all pinholes were eliminated and the areas were flat or shaped correct.

Last edited by Jordan; 10-03-2015, 05:05 PM.

Comment

BMW of Houston North called. All of my new interior parts are in. New black carpet set, dashboard, glovebox, knee panel, console, MTech door sills, door seals, assorted trim and sound deadener and a whole bunch more hardware.

Comment

Working...
                                X