Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

homebuying fun (caution: stupidly wide .jpg)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post
    Oops.
    sigpic

2014 GTI | 2002 Land Cruiser | 1991 Volvo 745t

Comment

Hahaha
      AWD > RWD

Comment

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
        Transaction feedback
        - jpod999

Comment

homebuying fun (caution: stupidly wide .jpg)

I bought my first house 1 year ago

I noticed a bubble under the flooring in the hall, and the floor felt soft. We pulled out the washer and my foot went though the floor

Rot was past the joists

It went all though the main hall and the back bathroom to the kitchen and the inspector missed it all

I was pretty stressed, but luckily my father is a contractor, and I had a decent amount of money stock piled

New flooring though out, replaced walls, new plumbing ect

(Above is finished)Kitchen was new flooring, sink, appliances, back splashing, and this is what every drain pipe looked like

Back bathroom new flooring and floors, and did some wainscoting. As well as new toilets, they all leaked in the house, all three bathrooms.

I dug out this corner of the lawn
          The garage was 2 bedrooms, a bathroom, and a small garage, it's now a big garage.
          Next we are replacing all the storm windows for 3 pain ones.
          The heating is wires in the ceiling, super sketching and doesn't work well, so we are taking the hot water heater out and putting in a tankless one then putting a furnace in the water heaters place. He housing is getting natural gas, I'm trading engine work on a buddies car who is going to plumb the gas and the new water lines.
          There has been more work done, but in spacing it. The previous owners where disgusting humans, they left a ton of stuff and garbage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          WTB:m60b40 in PNW
          Zachary Ripley

85 318i M50B25tu.
          92 525it 5 speed.
          80 244gl (m60 prepping).

Comment

This is a cool thread. I dont know what we'll end up with in the near future when we finally buy a home. Needless to say, buying in LA is ridiculous. I need to stop looking in other cities because I look and see a 3bd/2ba home that will cost less than my rent... but isnt a few miles from the beach.
            Simon
            Current Cars:
            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

^ Damn excellent work. Sucks the inspector missed all of that. But glad you were able to handle it.

Part of the reason I do my own home inspections, with the aid of my now personal GC. No one cares as much about your things as you do. Some inspectors I have witnessed were incredibly lazy/incompetent. And they wanted 4-500 for 40 minutes of their time. No thanks.
              My previous build (currently E30-less)
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Originally posted by MR E30 325is View Post
                ^ Damn excellent work. Sucks the inspector missed all of that. But glad you were able to handle it.
                Agreed.

I would have seen that and said "well, I guess it's time to patch up that hole in the floor with a piece of cardboard and GTFO!"
                If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

Thanks guys, looking back it was alot of fun, but at the time i was pretty much mental exhausted. the inspector refunded me my money after I sent him pictures.
                  Oregon has strange laws for inspectors, they aren't allowed move anything, or "damage" anything, so moving the insulation out of the way was not allowed? and putting a moisture meter in the wall is not allowed. Basically they can just look at the house and say, yep this is a house haha

long story short, next time i will inspect it myself with my father.
                  Zachary Ripley

85 318i M50B25tu.
                  92 525it 5 speed.
                  80 244gl (m60 prepping).

Comment

@Firefight. I hate your new sig... what happened to the bewbs?
                    Simon
                    Current Cars:
                    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Someone flagged it, :(

some people hate bewbs
                      Zachary Ripley

85 318i M50B25tu.
                      92 525it 5 speed.
                      80 244gl (m60 prepping).

Comment

Originally posted by FireFight View Post
                        Someone flagged it, :(

some people hate bewbs
                        Some people are friggin losers
                        My previous build (currently E30-less)
                        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Originally posted by MR E30 325is View Post

Part of the reason I do my own home inspections, with the aid of my now personal GC. No one cares as much about your things as you do. Some inspectors I have witnessed were incredibly lazy/incompetent. And they wanted 4-500 for 40 minutes of their time. No thanks.
                          My parents sold a ~180 year old building last year. Huge, three stories. I won't go into details, but let's just say there were a few issues we knew of, the sort of thing you'd definitely want to know about and are not exactly easy to miss, that the inspector didn't get. I think I'll be doing my own inspections - or at least in addition to a professional one. It sold though. Thank god. Place was a nightmare.

Originally posted by FireFight View Post
                          Thanks guys, looking back it was alot of fun, but at the time i was pretty much mental exhausted. the inspector refunded me my money after I sent him pictures.
                          Oregon has strange laws for inspectors, they aren't allowed move anything, or "damage" anything, so moving the insulation out of the way was not allowed? and putting a moisture meter in the wall is not allowed. Basically they can just look at the house and say, yep this is a house haha

long story short, next time i will inspect it myself with my father.
                          Well that's nice that you got your money back... I'm sure that helped a lot compared to what it cost to fix it all.

Sounds like Oregon's inspection laws need major changes. That's a bunch of bullshit.

Comment

That's a damn nightmare! Looks like what I expect my boat to be when I pull the floor up.

But a house?!
                            No E30 Club
                            Originally posted by MrBurgundy
                            Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Exodus_2pt0 View Post
                              That's a damn nightmare! Looks like what I expect my boat to be when I pull the floor up.

But a house?!
                              Yeah, the old utility sink next to the washer was the problem, it leaked under the sheet flooring and spread like herpes. the market over here is so crazy, i put an offer on the house before seeing it.
                              Zachary Ripley

85 318i M50B25tu.
                              92 525it 5 speed.
                              80 244gl (m60 prepping).

Comment

That sucks, glad you planned ahead though and had the cash.i have to wonder though, would home owners insurance have covered something like that? I have to wonder since it would be obvious it occurred before you owned the place.

I got lucky with my house, purchased it from a co-worker when he retired and moved back to New York. He ended up getting screwed and had to spend a bit of money to get it to where FHA would finance it. (Things like coating the blocks in the crawl space, removing a very poorly built overhang on the side porch. Things that should have been done but the bank overlooked when he purchased because it was a foreclosure.)

It's interesting, there's a huge stigma against manufactured homes, even my Mom was advising against it. Banks don't want to finance, tons of extra requirements by the FHA. But when I spoke to my Father-in-law who works on homes for a living, he said that the modern ones are usually a very safe bet. OTOH, my brother just purchased a new (pre-owned) home. He looked at a ridiculous number of "stick built" homes before finding one that didn't have some kind of major issue with it.

Fingers crossed, I'd probably cry if I pulled up a floor to find that. After I wiped my tears I'd get my ass to work, but still!
                                No E30 Club
                                Originally posted by MrBurgundy
                                Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Working...
                                X