Blood is opaque

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blood is opaque

No, this is not a metaphor for unity, especially on this day. I am being concrete.

I recently saw an otherwise excellent movie, that used a lot of blood that looked like the dyed corn syrup that movies generally use. It was translucent and syrupy. You'll see this on TV as well (Walking Dead, crime dramas, etc). Blood is actually opaque. It's full of iron, which makes it red, and is why you can't see through it.

Lifted this picture from a Jalopnik article where someone complains about working on a car. This is what the real thing looks like:

Click image for larger version

Name:	dl2elex533nrvylzeqcn.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	7249658
    Last edited by Nader393; 11-09-2016, 04:08 PM.
    '91 325i

I dont understand. Are you trying to fire shots at millenials or what?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Whoa........
      My previous build (currently E30-less)
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Originally posted by DaWildBeast View Post
        I dont understand. Are you trying to fire shots at millenials or what?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
        Sorry, you're right, that sounds bad. I'll edit.
        '91 325i

Comment

Hemoglobin makes it red, but you're right about the opacity.

Fun fact: Many people seem to think dark blood means a higher concentration of oxygen, but that's not the case. Darker blood is less oxygen-rich, and bright blood has more oxygen.

Fun fact 2: Veins only appear purple because of their relatively shallow depth beneath the skin, and only look that way on white people. They can look green in people of Indian descent, for example.
          Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Originally posted by ELVA164 View Post
            Hemoglobin makes it red, but you're right about the opacity...
            Hemoglobin binds the iron, which makes it red. Horseshoe crabs have hemocyanin which binds copper to transport oxygen, which is why their blood is blue.

Click image for larger version

Name:	extra_large-1464356939-1968-how-horseshoe-crab-blood-saves-millions-of-lives.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	7189248
            '91 325i

Comment

Good point, we'll call it even!

They use that blood for some sort of medication, right?
              Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

The blood is mostly used for the limulus amebocyte lysate test, which is used to detect fever causing residues (pyrogens) from the manufacturing process in injectable drugs and blood-contacting medical devices.

I've worked on a blood-contacting device that required characterizing device pyrogenicity as part of a biocompatibility test suite.

Originally posted by whysimon
                WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Originally posted by FredK View Post
                  The blood is mostly used for the limulus amebocyte lysate test, which is used to detect fever causing residues (pyrogens) from the manufacturing process in injectable drugs and blood-contacting medical devices.

I've worked on a blood-contacting device that required characterizing device pyrogenicity as part of a biocompatibility test suite.
                  Hick

Comment

Originally posted by FredK View Post

And this whole time I only thought you were well versed in IBU's.

Comment

Originally posted by BillBrasky View Post
                      Hick

Originally posted by whysimon
                      WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Working...
                      X