Shifter thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shifter thoughts

so I have a uuc shifter kit on my getrag 260 s52 swap. but want a tighter feel and just overall better shifting experience.

should I select cae, aka, or irp? or even coolerworx?

Will these help, hurt, or is it the getrag

Pmc or bust
    Hank Ahrens
    1984 Alpine Coupe
    1978 911sc

Comment

In for answers
      Build Thread
      https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=419655
      Parts Thread
      https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=408302

Comment

Why is cae so damn expensive
        Build Thread
        https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=419655
        Parts Thread
        https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=408302

Comment

Originally posted by Chrisbike View Post
          Why is cae so damn expensive
          cuz its not called a shifter its called "shifting technology"
          1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

I have been very happy with my AKG shifter. It is incredibly tight and precise. I have not used any of the higher end ones like the CAE or Coolerworx.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by shootnjunky View Post
              so I have a uuc shifter kit on my getrag 260 s52 swap. but want a tighter feel and just overall better shifting experience.

should I select cae, aka, or irp? or even coolerworx?

Will these help, hurt, or is it the getrag
              Did you go through all the bushings and replace them?
              Build Threads:
              Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

Originally posted by Julien View Post
                Did you go through all the bushings and replace them?
                for the shifter yes. I like how it feels but don't like catching on the gates from 1-2 or 2-3 when doing autox.

Thinking a reverse lockout would prevent the 1-2 and the 2-3 not sure.

Comment

What engine and tranny bushings are you using? In autocross there will be a lot of driveline movement with soft bushings.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Digitalwave View Post
                    What engine and tranny bushings are you using? In autocross there will be a lot of driveline movement with soft bushings.
                    I’m upgrading the tranny ones to poly next week.

I have an s52 swap and originally put all rubber in to keep it a cross between nice daily driver.

However I pretty much just drive like a bat out of hell.

Although I do drive a lot of long distances like to the vintage a couple weeks ago 9hrs that time.

So maybe it’s a cake and eat it too type of thing?

Comment

e21 trans bushings might help, cupped rubber to keep things from mushing around but absorb more nvh than poly. However, I've driven a fully delrin/poly mounted car and its really not as bad as you'd think. Straight 6's are pretty smooth engines overall. It's a little shuddery coming from a stop but otherwise its just a bit louder than stock.
                      1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

I also love my AKG DTM shifter. I use it in my track car, but you'll need urethane or solid mount transmission bushings.

1991 LS1 Swapped 318is
                        Instagram:
                        https://instagram.com/saltybeast/
                        LS Build Thread:
                        https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...s-e30-ls1-swap

Comment

To get a tighter shifter than what you already have, you will probably need to upgrade to some sort of trans tunnel mounted shifter. Either an AKG or CAE style. If you're irritated by catching the gates on the 2-3 upshift probably the only way you'll avoid it is with the CAE style shifter with reverse/5th lockout. I've used a bunch of combinations of shifters and while they were all incrementally better, the only one that addressed all of my issues was the cae style coolerworx shifter. The PMC shifter (similar to AKG) was great but still caught the gate on the 2-3 shift. The zf320 transmission is also a decent improvement over the g260. You will need at least poly trans+engine mounts. After I went poly with mine it didn't really add much nvh that wasn't already there.
                          '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
                          Shadetree30

Comment

Originally posted by Sh3rpak!ng View Post
                            To get a tighter shifter than what you already have, you will probably need to upgrade to some sort of trans tunnel mounted shifter. Either an AKG or CAE style. If you're irritated by catching the gates on the 2-3 upshift probably the only way you'll avoid it is with the CAE style shifter with reverse/5th lockout. I've used a bunch of combinations of shifters and while they were all incrementally better, the only one that addressed all of my issues was the cae style coolerworx shifter. The PMC shifter (similar to AKG) was great but still caught the gate on the 2-3 shift. The zf320 transmission is also a decent improvement over the g260. You will need at least poly trans+engine mounts. After I went poly with mine it didn't really add much nvh that wasn't already there.
                            I agree with this. It's still possible to catch the gates on the simple tunnel mounted shifters like AKG/PMC. I have all the 'upgrades' with my AKG and it still feels like there is room for improvement unfortunately because of the condition of the trans at this point (there is nothing left to replace).
                            The CAE style shifters force you to slide into the right gear because the gated path of the shift is on the shifter itself up top and lined up correctly and not reliant on the gated path of the trans.
                            So, you can still have some funk going on down there and still be tight because of the CAE style shifter.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Thanks, I ordered the poly mounts for now. and will be trying it out.

I like seeing the incremental improvements.

Comment

Working...
                              X