Auto Transmission Sticky in 1st

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Auto Transmission Sticky in 1st

1989 E30 325iX, automatic transmission. I had to have my transfer case mount replaced. To do that, they had to drop the case and the transmission. Replaced guibos while they were at it. Now, when I drive for the first time after a while, it will stick in 1st gear. I have to run it up and down a few times, then it will shift and work fine for the rest of the day. I’ll have the mechanic (BMW certified and a great guy) take a look. But I was wondering if anyone had a possible explanation and suggested fix?

Thanks.
    Oldsnowman

Slippage in 1st can be caused by a number of things. I would start with transmission oil level, check pump pressure, sticky valves In the valve body, A clutches on its ways out.
    My case was the small balls like plastic pellets in the valve body housing.
    These were worn out, I replaced these cleaned out the valve body with a new service kit, fresh oil and was good to go.
    Running strong 2 year's odd, smooth shifts no problems. I was having a hard time finding a good replacement with garrentee so i downloaded the ZF4hp22 repair /rebuild manual, gave it a good read Twice lol cause I am a simple DIY guy with lots of patience.
    All parts were ordered from ZF locally prices weren't to bad I think cause it's a labour intensive process shops are pricey.

Comment

My 89 IX had the exact same issue when I first got it. No slipping - but hanging too long in first gear during the first few movements from stopped.

My understanding is that the governor inside the transmission has some small passeges inside of it that can get gummed up from worn transmission clutch material and cause exactly the symptoms you describe.

The fix for mine was a fresh ATF fluid and filter change and eventually it worked itself out. Might be worth a shot versus having to pull the transfer case back off to access the transmission governor.

The E30 collection:
      1987 325es M52 - Schwarz / Taurus Red Sport (son #2's)
      1987 325is - Delphin / Black Sport (son #3's)
      1987 325i Convertible - Triple Black
      1989 325iX Coupe - Diamondschwarz / Black Comfort
      1990 325iX Coupe - Sterling Silver / Grey Sport

1981 Fiat 124 Spider 2000 - Green / Tan
      1998 Volvo V70 GLT - White / Tan
      1998 Volvo S70 T5 manual - White / Taupe
      2001 Ford Windstar - Silver / Grey (parts hauler)
      2006 Lexus GX470 - White / Tan (tow rig)

Comment

Originally posted by 101 View Post
        My understanding is that the governor inside the transmission has some small passeges inside of it that can get gummed up from worn transmission clutch material and cause exactly the symptoms you describe.

The fix for mine was a fresh ATF fluid and filter change and eventually it worked itself out. Might be worth a shot versus having to pull the transfer case back off to access the transmission governor.
        Interesting. The fluid did get changed when they did the work 2 weeks ago - maybe some junk got loosed and moved. I did change it 2 years ago and everything was fine. Though I had been warned that sometimes its better to leave the old stuff in if there are no problems.
        Oldsnowman

Comment

Working...
        X