Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

E36 racks: let's settle it once and for all.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wanted to find out what kind of core refund they would give on my current 95 m3 rack & see if I could order a zhp rack with e36 tie rods installed.
    I am trying to decide if it's worth keeping the e36 rack, rebuilding it my self & installing in the e30. I know there is a lot of debate about the 95 m3 rack, but it is alot better than the e30 rack & I all ready have it.

Comment

Originally posted by Caperix View Post
      I wanted to find out what kind of core refund they would give on my current 95 m3 rack & see if I could order a zhp rack with e36 tie rods installed.
      I am trying to decide if it's worth keeping the e36 rack, rebuilding it my self & installing in the e30. I know there is a lot of debate about the 95 m3 rack, but it is alot better than the e30 rack & I all ready have it.

It's the slowest feeling upgrade rack for the most part, but still light years better than a stock E30 rack.

If I was going through the expense of having paying a shop to do the install, I'd get the real rack you want. If you're just DIY swapping over the weekend, I'd go with what you already have, and save money.

Comment

There's no debate about the 95 M3 rack...only misunderstandings and myths. I asked this exact question of Rich aka the rackdr and he confirmed that EVERY e36 rack has the same ratio and all but the 95 M3, which is progressive (and totally over rated IMO), are linear.

PS I didn't read this whole thread again so am probably repeating myself.
        Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
        Alice the Time Capsule
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
        87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

figure it can't hurt to throw it out there again...

2001+ E46 yellow tag "712" racks are definitely the best bang for the buck
          they have a ratio of 13:7:1, 3 turns lock to lock and an excellent sporty feel
          also can be grabbed in a junkyard for ~$60

330 ZHP always have them, majority of 330s have them, and sometimes you find them on lesser models as well. They're plentiful in a yard with e46s

I used to love the steering feel on my parents 330ci back in the day (it had the same rack). And now I have one on my e36. Definitely the best steering feel of any BMW I've driven. Feels very tight, connected, heavy (in a good way) and perfectly mechanical.
          '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
          Shadetree30

Comment

Originally posted by Sh3rpak!ng View Post
            figure it can't hurt to throw it out there again...

2001+ E46 yellow tag "712" racks are definitely the best bang for the buck
            they have a ratio of 13:7:1, 3 turns lock to lock and an excellent sporty feel
            also can be grabbed in a junkyard for ~$60

330 ZHP always have them, majority of 330s have them, and sometimes you find them on lesser models as well. They're plentiful in a yard with e46s

I used to love the steering feel on my parents 330ci back in the day (it had the same rack). And now I have one on my e36. Definitely the best steering feel of any BMW I've driven. Feels very tight, connected, heavy (in a good way) and perfectly mechanical.
            Definitely have to go in person to get a yellow tag for cheap. Online classifieds or ebay are often more expensive, because people know they are desirable racks.

Purple tag racks are the same gearing too, just more steering assist so they don't feel as tight as the yellow tag.

Honestly if you are scrounging in a junk yard, just find the lowest mileage rack you can from an E36, Z3 or E46. Any of them will be better than what is in an E30, and a worn out yellow tag rack would be worse than a relatively fresh E36 rack.

If you're buying rebuilt, then yes seek out yellow tag or Z3 non-M racks.

Comment

Great info, I'm thinking about a steering rack change and this wil help a lot

Comment

I just finished swapping the rack in my 95 m3 to a 712 zhp rack from rack doctor. The effort is a little heavier than the m3 rack. The quicker steering on center is not a major change when driving. I plan on rebuilding the m3 rack & putting it in my e30 where it will be a large improvement.

Comment

If anyone is interested, sometime in the next few months I'll have either a Z3 1.9l rack or Z3M rack available for sale depending on which I decide to keep. At a minimum, I can post the part numbers and LTL numbers and anything else that might help document specific info on these.
                  Driving is the only way to go faster....

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
                    what are people doing with the rack spacers? top or bottom? anyone noticed bump steer?

mine are on top of my z3 rack and i notice some bumpsteer, yet i still had what i would call bump steer on the stock rack (may have been just worn as hell) and the z3 rack didn't make it worse. I'm thinking of splitting the difference and putting 1/2 thickness spacer at both top and bottom that way the rack is centered
                    so what is the verdict since you had this setup for awhile now? I just installed mine the other day (car is still not in the running shape). I put spacers on top and when car is at its regular riding height, tie rods aren't parallel to control arm...so it seems.

Did anyone use bump steer gauge and actually tested this setup? I'm contemplating to make the gauge and test it out...unless someone already done it here.. Any info?

Looks like bump steer gauge is a simple DIY with a few hardware store items and the dial gauge

Comment

Working...
                    X