X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M52TU / M52 alum block in the USA clarification

Hi all

In the USA:

Only the Z3 had an alum block M52? Only 97/98 for the M52B28?
    All cars with M52TU had alum blocks? All displacements? Specifically I'm after the M52TUB28. Because its fun to say out loud. Also because it seems to be a nice motor.

I would like to swap an alum block M5x into my E30 and while the M54 is my first choice I understand M52 or M52TU will be a measure less difficult to wire.
    EDIT: seems the M52TU is not in fact significantly easier to wire than the M54

Kindly correct me if I'm wrong about any of the above. Thanks.
    Last edited by r-mm; 02-18-2019, 10:21 AM.

Can't correct on you on what has been available in usa, but m50, m52, m52tu are all pretty much identicsl to wire in to e30. M52 and m52tu just need few easy mods to ecu software (like ews delete). M54 is bit more work because you need to wire in the electric gas pedal.

Comment

You are correct about the availability of the single Vanos M52B28 aluminum block motors in the US and Canada. They were in the 97 and part way into 98 Z3 Roadster 2.8. This would be the lightest (50lbs lighter than the iron equivalent as verified by me on a scale) and likely the easiest to wire (same wiring more or less as any of the single Vanos motors).

Comment

This should answer your questions;

M54 and m52tu double vanos engines are aluminum block and very common / cheap.

It can easily be converted to single vanos and ran just like a obd1 m50b25.

Don’t need to go on a hunt for the z3 non m unicorns
        OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Don't convert an M52TU/M54 (basically the same thing) to single vanos/OBD1. That's retarded. All of the DMEs available at the time for those engines are well hacked now and easily tuned for a swap.

but yeah, a unicorn M52B28 is not really any better, way harder to find, and probably more expensive. The continuously variable double vanos of the M52TU and M54 is superior to M50/M52 single on/off vanos anyway.
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
            Don't convert an M52TU/M54 (basically the same thing) to single vanos/OBD1. That's retarded. All of the DMEs available at the time for those engines are well hacked now and easily tuned for a swap.

but yeah, a unicorn M52B28 is not really any better, way harder to find, and probably more expensive. The continuously variable double vanos of the M52TU and M54 is superior to M50/M52 single on/off vanos anyway.

Depends on op skills and situation; also if op wants to pay for the m54 computer flash/hack.

Perhaps op has a m50 single vanos already in the car (might be dead) and just wants to keep driving his car

A double vanos motor converted to single works just as well as a single vanos motor

Single vanos motors have no problems in the majority of applications.

It’s better to downgrade technology and be able to drive and enjoy the car than to fight complications simply for inter web nerd cred

S52’s still work quite well and so do f20c’s with their crappy primitive single vanos and cable throttle systems

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

MS43 and MS42 EWS deletes and tuning are free. All you need is a $20 cable.

S52s are at least OBD2. OBD1 is dinosaur-age technology. The diagnostics is crap, and updates to the tune require flashing an EPROM manually, rather than a 30 second update over the OBD port. Not to mention there's no such thing as an OBD1 M54, so you're literally having to hack something together that never really existed, rather than just using what already came with the motor.
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

S52s are at least OBD2. OBD1 is dinosaur-age technology. The diagnostics is crap, and updates to the tune require flashing an EPROM manually, rather than a 30 second update over the OBD port. Not to mention there's no such thing as an OBD1 M54, so you're literally having to hack something together that never really existed, rather than just using what already came with the motor.
                That's right. There is no reason to swap to much older ecu technology, because the m52tu/m54 ecu's are really easy and cheap to get working in any car.

Comment

If it works; it isn’t stupid.

There’s no need to tune; just drive the silly thing. It’s a cheap garbage car (e30) getting a junkyard motor swap.

If it was a e30 worth anything (e30 m3) it wouldn’t be getting a swap unless idiot owner.

Plenty of ancient obd1 bmw’s driving around town; they don’t seem to need any upgrades to obd2

Time to hack isn’t free.

Id say just put a s54 into it but that isn’t free either.

There is a m54 obd1 now; welcome to Frankenstein reality. As much as you might dislike the concept; it works great.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanganstyle View Post
                    If it works; it isn’t stupid.
                    There are plenty of things that work and are stupid. Tattooing your name on your forehead works to remind people what your name is, but I don't think anyone would agree that it's a smart move.

For the $20 cable and a few hours of time to keep it OBD2, you receive the luxury of being able to read codes/live data to see what's wrong. "VANOS Mechanically Jammed" might come up as a code on OBD1, but you don't have the option to plug in your laptop or phone to see that "oh shit, my cam sensor is reading garbage, I guess that's why it thinks VANOS isn't working"

You also save the initial cost of an OBD1 harness, sensors, etc. So just use what came with the engine and stop mucking around
                    Originally posted by priapism
                    My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                    Originally posted by shameson
                    Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
                      There are plenty of things that work and are stupid. Tattooing your name on your forehead works to remind people what your name is, but I don't think anyone would agree that it's a smart move.

For the $20 cable and a few hours of time to keep it OBD2, you receive the luxury of being able to read codes/live data to see what's wrong. "VANOS Mechanically Jammed" might come up as a code on OBD1, but you don't have the option to plug in your laptop or phone to see that "oh shit, my cam sensor is reading garbage, I guess that's why it thinks VANOS isn't working"

You also save the initial cost of an OBD1 harness, sensors, etc. So just use what came with the engine and stop mucking around

Car was obd1 24v swapped before m54 longmotor install;

I’m using what was in my car prior; it was fine for 4 years racing obd1 it will be for another 4.

Proven stupid simple reliable......... and yes the car was at the track the past weekend logging hours. Done over 30hrs since dec 2018

All those failures and faults that obd2 would be more useful for.......don’t exist or haven’t magically shown up yet in years and years of use.

Comment

Using an Ostrich 2.0 Emulator, OBD1 tune updates are immensly faster and just as simple as OBD2 updates. And you can run the car full time off the emulator.. No need for chips.

Comment

sure, but 99.999% of people aren't going to use an emulator or even know what it is.
                          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                          X