It's all in the balance. (Suspension Tuning) "Motor Trend 03/88"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Victell View Post
    I have not seen these BBS before. Are Ronal LS a 7.5" copy of these?
    Similar in that they a deeper, machined lip than euroweaves. But BBS RG003s are forged and very light (13lbs). Here’s a bit and paste from a post I made on mine:

I just refinished my BBS RG003s. The lips were polished and ceramic clearcoated and the centers and waffles were painted silver.

I've always liked RS wheels with polished hex nuts, but RGs use plastic hex nuts So, I decided to take them to a shop that does chrome-on-plastic. They turned out OK, just a little more shiny than the lips. I'll probably get them ceramic clearcoated, which should knock down the shine a little and make them match the lips a little better.

I also had a second set of hex nuts painted to match the centers/waffles.

Some RG 003 specs

sigpic
    January 2012 COTM

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
      "there are plenty of idiots who want their street cars to handle like race cars"

haha love it.

....guilty.
      same... Im trying to rectify that because my current roads went from acceptable smooth concrete to bombed out Baghdad offroad roads.
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by robrez View Post
        Similar in that they a deeper, machined lip than euroweaves. But BBS RG003s are forged and very light (13lbs). Here’s a bit and paste from a post I made on mine:

I just refinished my BBS RG003s. The lips were polished and ceramic clearcoated and the centers and waffles were painted silver.
        Thanks for the info. And your BBS are absolutely gorgeous. Would love to have a set.

Comment

Wish we could still buy new BBS RG003s! You'd think they would make a lot of money if they made all these classic wheels again. I guess they don't like money...
          Plug and Play Wiring Harness Adapters for S54, S50, M54 and more.

Comment

Awesome article! Thank you for the info!
            sigpic84 325e

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew325is View Post
              Wish we could still buy new BBS RG003s! You'd think they would make a lot of money if they made all these classic wheels again. I guess they don't like money...
              If they still had the tooling and dies, maybe there would be a case for what you're saying. But I doubt they do, that stuff wears out with time and is expensive to make. The market for the E30 friendly version of that wheel is really small these days, sure there are a lot of E30s but what percentage of E30 owners are going to buy a new set of a given wheel high dollar wheel and how many other cars will they fit? The market is probably small enough that the wheels would be too expensive for most, the magazine articles says they were $555 each back then, would you spend $2,220 on a set of wheels for your car today? How about an inflation corrected $4,800? If so, you're in a very small minority group of E30 owners.

IG @turbovarg
              '91 318is, M20 turbo
              [CoTM: 4-18]
              '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
              - updated 3-17

Comment

killer article. straight up. thanks!

sent from hell using Tapatalk
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                '90 325i sedan daily driven
                '85 325e coupe also a daily

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew325is View Post
                  Yeah, they are great wheels in terms of being classy, light, and strong. These days though, most people would look right past them for something bigger with a lower offset. Case in point the e30 M3 version, which I thought would command a quick sale at the original price, but didn't.

I'm fortunate to have put together a second set of rg003s with caps and I want to refurbish them to look as they came from BBS, but I need to find that rose gold paint code.
                  Last edited by robrez; 01-30-2019, 02:18 PM.
                  sigpic
                  January 2012 COTM

Comment

18x10 ebay wheels + drop on Chinese coilovers + Instagram filters = profit.
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

^Don't forget the camber and 205s.

IG @turbovarg
                      '91 318is, M20 turbo
                      [CoTM: 4-18]
                      '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                      - updated 3-17

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                        18x10 ebay wheels + drop on Chinese coilovers + Instagram filters = profit.
                        lol... been toying with buying an e30 near me that's going cheap because someone did that to it without rolling the guards and subsequently wrecked them + for extra insta worthiness put an eBay turbo kit on the M40 which then went pop and the owner has lost interest.

Was a good car before all that happened to it, so would be easy enough to save with a few $$ and a couple of weekends effort. :)
                        My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Awesome article, saving this one in my e30 folder for sure. Thanks for taking the time to upload. Any more?!
                          My 1991 318is Progression Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Nairb View Post
                            Awesome article, saving this one in my e30 folder for sure. Thanks for taking the time to upload. Any more?!
                            Just this 88 iX road test. From the same magazine actually.

If I run across any more, I'll scan them.

1992 BMW 325iC
                            1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
                            1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Working...
                            X