Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Value: Bone Stock vs Modified

Hey Everybody,
    I've got an Alpine White 325iA sedan with 65k original miles. It's in excellent shape. I don't really know what i'm doing with it. I've thought about converting it to 5 speed and S52, upgrading the suspension and adding some big 5 lug wheels, but this car is great the way it is and I have an 85 M635CSI that checks all the boxes. I know that modifying the car could possibly make it worth much less in the future and that E30 prices are steadily climbing.

What do you guys think? Should I upgrade the car and not be concerned about preservation? Yes, it has low miles, yes it's completely original but will a slush box e30 sedan ever be worth anything, even with it's low miles?

https://i.imgur.com/yot9lo5.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/VtgtJRs.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/JiWYwej.jpg
    Last edited by 94530inh; 02-05-2019, 08:23 PM.
    65k 325i Automatic
    1985 M635CSI Frank Fahey Stroker
    1970 BMW 2002 (in restoration)

I notice the value is down if anything I'd say keep the beauty as she is. Get a second one for dirt cheap , trust me check out craigslist and OfferUp, and fix her up. Keep the classic a classic.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

Don't build a car for the next owner, build it for yourself and enjoy it. Start wrenching and forget about what its "Worth".

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
        Don't build a car for the next owner, build it for yourself and enjoy it. Start wrenching and forget about what its "Worth".
        True, but I've got the M6 for when I feel the need for speed..

Maybe tuning the suspension and throwing in a 5 speed is the move.
        65k 325i Automatic

Comment

Do what makes you happy.
          '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Keep the M20, upgrade the suspension to bilstein/h&r sport, get a nice set of 4 lug wheels and swap a manual trans.

Or whatever makes you happy.

At this point for a really nice stock low mile E30 I wouldn't swap it.

Comment

Do what makes you happy. BMW's that have been tastefully modified always hold their value well (2002 QUALITY restomods still bring in great moolah).

If it was mine, I wouldn't bother with 5-lugs, but hey, you do you.
              ADAMS Autosport

Comment

If it were mine, I'd swap the auto for a 5 speed, and leave it alone otherwise.

Comment

Personally, I think a lightly modified car with good ownership history will bring the right buyers. Too modified and you will turn people away. I agree that mild suspension and a 5 speed swap is enough. Adding 5 lugs and an S52--I think that will be too much for most who are looking for a clean car.

With that said, if you are interested in preserving value--an automatic 325i sedan isn't the E30 that people will search for. It will be a manual 325is, of course.
                  '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
                  NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
                  Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

IMHO...Anything mild is probably not a problem...just keep the original parts to "make it back" to original
                    I think that auto to manual at this point in its life is a 50/50 choice (for if you want to sell it at some point)
                    In addition i don't think the a sedans will become a "collectibles"
                    BMWCCA 12660

Comment

generally, people that buy these cars do not want automatic transmissions. I don't care how low miles your car is. swapping to a 5 speed will not decrease the value of the car. I agree with above. if it were mine, I would swap the trans, swap in h&r sport springs with koni shocks, a tasteful set of wheels(save your original wheels), add an lsd and leather sport seats if your car doesn't have them already and drive down the road a happy happy man.
                      Last edited by flyboyx; 02-06-2019, 08:18 AM.
                      sigpic
                      Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                      92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                      88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                      88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                      87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                      12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Originally posted by DOC-K View Post
                        In addition i don't think the a sedans will become a "collectibles"
                        <pedantic>

Unless they are a convertible or a touring, they are *all* sedans.

</pedantic>
                        Originally posted by kronus
                        would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Originally posted by agent View Post
                          <pedantic>

Unless they are a convertible or a touring, they are *all* limousines.

</pedantic>

Comment

This slush box seems to be going for good money. Bronzit and an auto with diving boards and accident history.. Half the miles... Could I expect mine to bring similar money?

Bid for the chance to own a No Reserve: 39k-Mile 1988 BMW 325is at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #16,237.
                            65k 325i Automatic

Comment

Originally posted by 94530inh View Post
                              This slush box seems to be going for good money. Bronzit and an auto with diving boards and accident history.. Half the miles... Could I expect mine to bring similar money?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1988-bmw-325is-35/
                              I'll have to keep up with this particular auction. Makes me wonder what market value will be for my Bronzit.

252K on the clock will never make it get high dollar, but it's not getting sold anytime soon.

That being said, I think a manual swap will not hurt value. If anything, it would increase it.

All depends on the buyer.
                              90 Bronzit 325is
                              16 Black Sapphire 340i M Sport

Comment

Working...
                              X