Strongest Double Sided Tape?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strongest Double Sided Tape?

Need ideas on strong double sided tape for my spoiler.

the double sided body tape BMW uses is made by 3M. it's super strong. The ix sideskirts use the double sided tape as well as clips and grommets - realistically, the tape is enough to hold it on. I've been thinking if I ever add a spoiler, I'd just use the 3M tape.

I'm sure you can get it at an auto paint supply shop. Of course, the surfaces have to be smooth and clean, free of oils or wax.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Gorilla double sided tape is pretty good too. They cost about the same as 3M.

Comment

why are you yelling? I used 3m tape at the dealer for all the things stated above. Get that and the prep solvent, dont do it in the winter. Also stop making 2 threads on the same crap. kthnxbi

Comment

This is gonna be weird but the best double sided tape I've ever used i got from my mom who installs wigs on people.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
          1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
          Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
          Mtech 2 turbo restoration
          Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

3M UHB (ultra high bond) is what you want.

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
              This is gonna be weird but the best double sided tape I've ever used i got from my mom who installs wigs on people.
              lol @ "installs" wigs
              1991 318is Brillantrot daily driver (slow restoration)

Comment

As mentioned 3m double sides auto tape, heaps of car manufacturers use it on new cars to attach trim BMW being one of them. I give you forewarning it is an absolute PITA to remove after its baked on.

Lots of it on eBay 3m VHB/UHB is the one your after

Comment

I used the 3m tape on my ducktail and its been on for over a year. Seems a little sketchy I know but after looking into it I found its a pretty common solution to sideskirts and spoilers.

Comment

Incidentally, I found the good 3m stuff at Target in the section with the picture hangers, command hooks and whatnot. It's not labeled as automotive double sided tape but it's definitely the same stuff. Whatever the one with the highest bond strength was.

Just a convenient source for it without resorting to an auto body supply shop or ordering online.
                    '84 318i - Lapisblau/Schwarz (in cryosleep)
                    '06 330i - Titansilber/Schwarz

Comment

Working...
                    X