No announcement yet.

LR Disco or Jeep XJ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying an old Land Rover is kind of cutting your own balls off with rusty tin snips,then cauterizing it with an acetylene torch.

They do look cool, but there aren't many vehicles on the road today that are less reliable
    sigpic
    Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
    92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
    88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
    88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
    87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
    12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Consider a 90s Isuzu Trooper also. Theyre often overlooked and can be found in good condition at your price range.

Roomy and more comfortable like the LR. Easy to fix and very capable offroad like an XJ.

Nowhere near as much aftermarket support as the jeep but who needs another money pit when we've got e30s.

Comment

Your choices leave a lot to be desired, speaking as someone who has been down this road and was considering the same units.... But ended up buying a FZJ80 landcruiser

So for what your wanting to do and reliability is a concern the FZJ80 is the obvious choice for this, but with the recent emrmagodzzzz landcruiser badge tax increases, I would be looking for a nicely kept 3rd gen T4r to stay with in the size class your looking at. The 80's cooling system is its weak point but its all easy to work on, though parts from the factory are going to be on par with Land rover pricing

I have 1000's of back country miles logged in my 80, I put 23k miles on it the 1st year I owned it, and at least 1/3 of them were outta cell range in the middle of BFE. Even my wife is not scared to take it 50 miles into the back country where there is nothing.
        IMG_8663 by mrsleeve, on Flickr

haul stuff you say, here is my tool box (just after I got it built) and its plumb full of tools, spares, recovery gear, emergency supplies and recreation stuff all the time, plus a 80lb dog most of the time. Add another 3-400lbs of camping gear on over night trips

IMG_9613 by mrsleeve, on Flickr
        Last edited by mrsleeve; 05-06-2017, 11:42 PM.
        Originally posted by Fusion
        If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
        The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
        William Pitt-

Comment

I do miss my XJ. If I was to get another though it would be like the one I had, 2 door 4.0 5 speed 4x4. The thing was easy to work on and I was impressed on how it held up to a 50mph hit. I walked away with a small brush burn on my arm from the airbag.

1992 BMW 325iC
          1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
          1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Ive got an XJ now. I towed the e30 home with it when I got it. Then I drove it across the US to western CO where I live now. Ive been dailying it for 5 years while bashing it around Moab and the Rockies on the weekends. I drive it across 100's of highway miles for work every week. Its been great.
            It definitely has its quirks, but for what its been, it has been super solid and reliable, as well as capable.
            I just put a new lift on it (3 in BDS) and now im about to do front ujoints, hubs, balljoints, and all the steering balljoints. They're fun.

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
              Your choices leave a lot to be desired, speaking as someone who has been down this road and was considering the same units.... But ended up buying a FZJ80 landcruiser

The two members here from NW Montana recommend the same vehicle.
              No coincidence.
              Although it is possible the best veh for the Rockies may not be the best in NJ.
              1991 318iC
              1989 325i Field Rescue

Comment

^

My tags start with a 7's as well, there is something very ironic about your username given your location.......

Lots of places out east not far from the op, that will challenge an 80 series as much as the rockies
                Originally posted by Fusion
                If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
                  ^

My tags start with a 7's as well, there is something very ironic about your username given your location.......
                  True and it's not getting any cheaper here.
                  Great place to live though.
                  1991 318iC
                  1989 325i Field Rescue

Comment

Absolutely no to the Discovery.

If you are going to be doing some serious off-roading, want the solid axle, cheaper bumpers, lifts etc. then definitely get the XJ. They can be reliable and the 4.0 is bulletproof, but compared to my 1st Gen Tacoma my buddy must have dumped 2-3x as much as me in repairs.

Like a guy above me said, I would be looking at a 3rd Generation 4Runner (can even find a stick) with the 3.4L Great trucks with a lot of potential, and in my opinion way cooler and less commonly modified when compared to a XJ.

If you need cargo space, more towing capacity, comfier ride, have extra $$$ then by all means take the advice and look for a FJZ80. Those are some amazing vehicles and to me are one of the last good looking LC's made. Personally my Tacoma has been more then adequate for all my Winter/DD/Camping needs. After next winter I think I am going to take the plunge with my first automatic project.....FJZ80 haa
                    1989 325ix
                    1992 325ic 770A
                    2002 M3

Comment

Hey gang - just wanted to say thanks for all the input. This was pretty helpful.

Comment

Working...
                      X