Overheating, Switch To Electric Fan or Replace Fan Clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overheating, Switch To Electric Fan or Replace Fan Clutch

Car is overheating while idling or in stop in go. I heard the fan clutch screech when I started the car and figured the fan clutch had gone. Does an electric fan make much of a difference on the M42? I know for the M20 it doesn't make much sense but on a smaller motor I think it would, ALso what is the parts number and a decent DIY

www.roadreview.net

Is your aux fan not working? I know by now many of them have blown resistor packs and stop working but if it's there why not use it? Get it fixed and while you're in there clear the condenser of debris. I think on a 4 cylinder, it's worth it to remove the fan clutch and install an electric puller fan if you are trying to free up the engine but if you daily the car and want reliable cooling...get a good fan clutch.
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
      Is your aux fan not working? I know by now many of them have blown resistor packs and stop working but if it's there why not use it? Get it fixed and while you're in there clear the condenser of debris. I think on a 4 cylinder, it's worth it to remove the fan clutch and install an electric puller fan if you are trying to free up the engine but if you daily the car and want reliable cooling...get a good fan clutch.
      I'm not sure about the aux fan, I haven't even tried to diagnose it yet since I had experience with previous e30s and recognized the fan screetch.
      Reliability is a concern especially since I will be moving to warmer climate

www.roadreview.net

Comment

Would this be an appropriate replacement? http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E30-318...lutch/ES24490/

www.roadreview.net

Comment

Originally posted by dr.gonzo View Post
          Would this be an appropriate replacement? http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E30-318...lutch/ES24490/
          Sure, that should work. Or you can go with a Volvo fan (850, 960, others) from the junkyard, or a new fan of many types if you prefer electric. Further, if you want a nice looking swap someone (maybe ECS) sells a cap to go over the threads removing the clutch would leave. As to swap DIYs, they exist here, on BF, and M42Club, should be easy to find what you want to know.

Have you done the test on the fan clutch yet?

Comment

Tested fan clutch and it was bad. I decided to just get another clutch since the car will be dealing with Arizona weather sooner or later

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

www.roadreview.net

Comment

To test the aux fan go to the temp switch at the radiator, and short two switch pins together when the car electronics are on.

GRN/BLK to BRN/BLK fires low temp mode
              GRN/BLK to BLK fires high temp mode

If high temp mode works, fan works
              If low temp mode works, fan and resistor work
              If only high temp works, fan works but not the resistor

Comment

Working...
              X