Portable generators for home backup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Portable generators for home backup

I’m looking into getting a portable generator that I can use to power a portion of my house in case the power goes out. I’d be installing manual transfer box with about 10 circuits and installing a 240v plug in on the side of the house.

Anybody have any recommendations on generators? I believe I need to be at around 6500 to 7500 Watts to power what I want, mainly propane furnace, well pump, frig, and a few general lighting circuits including a tv. A concern for me is power quality, staying close to 60Hz and consistent voltage so it doesn’t fry sensitive devices.
    "I think we consider too much the good luck of the early bird and not enough the bad luck of the early worm."
    -Franklin D. Roosevelt

probably generac is the way to go if you are planning to do a transfer switch. they are pricey but can be plumbed into natural gas and start automatically if you have it hooked up to your house.
    sigpic
    Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
    92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
    88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
    88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
    87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
    12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

The standby Generac with automatic transfer, etc would definitely be my choice if I was on a bigger budget. I'd like to stay with a smaller portable version. CAT came out with a line of portable generators just last year such as the RP7500E which looks pretty good on paper, but not much for reviews. The Honda's are very nice, but again, super pricey. I'd like to stay around $1200 or under for the generator.
      "I think we consider too much the good luck of the early bird and not enough the bad luck of the early worm."
      -Franklin D. Roosevelt

Comment

What's wrong with the e30?
        AWD > RWD

Comment

Portable HONDA Honda honda........... The have their EU series which has an inverter tech in it so you have clean Sine wave power for your electronics. They have 7000 Watt but its pushing 4 grand for brand new, but they are the best, they are very very quiet and better on fuel than most any other brand. Your not going to find clean sine wave power in much over 2000w for your budget.

But for about the same or less money (since you are doing the switch gear and all) you could prolly have 15-20kw permanent set up installed with a power conditioner for clean sine wave, that would power your whole house and would be powered by your propane or natural gas heating gas supply and you would never know you have an outage going on.

I have been stalking ebay for a 25-35kw diesel standby set unit for my place and rig it for 100% automatic function and a power conditioner so when I am away at work the wife wont have to worry about it, power goes out for more than 2 min standby unit kicks on, auto switch gear does its thing, and when the power comes back on it dose its thing again and shuts down the gen set.....
          Originally posted by Fusion
          If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
          The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
          William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
            What's wrong with the e30?
            I don’t have an E30 currently, but do have an E53. Sadly, I don’t think the alternator will put out the wattage I need. Other alternatives I thought about but dismissed included building a giant battery bank in the basement with enough A-h to last 24 hours or so. Even better if it could be charged by solar. Maybe someday, when I’m a baller, or at least get my wife’s student loans paid off.
            -Franklin D. Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
              Portable HONDA Honda honda........... The have their EU series which has an inverter tech in it so you have clean Sine wave power for your electronics. They have 7000 Watt but its pushing 4 grand for brand new, but they are the best, they are very very quiet and better on fuel than most any other brand. Your not going to find clean sine wave power in much over 2000w for your budget.

But for about the same or less money (since you are doing the switch gear and all) you could prolly have 15-20kw permanent set up installed with a power conditioner for clean sine wave, that would power your whole house and would be powered by your propane or natural gas heating gas supply and you would never know you have an outage going on.

I have been stalking ebay for a 25-35kw diesel standby set unit for my place and rig it for 100% automatic function and a power conditioner so when I am away at work the wife wont have to worry about it, power goes out for more than 2 min standby unit kicks on, auto switch gear does its thing, and when the power comes back on it dose its thing again and shuts down the gen set.....
              I’ll have to look at fixed options some more but so far even the smallest, think it was 8kw or 9kw standby unit was $2500 and then I still need the switchgear. How much does something like you’re looking into run?
              -Franklin D. Roosevelt

Comment

Honda and generac are both very famous.

Comment

Originally posted by shelleyVandtet View Post
                  Honda and generac are both very famous.
                  My experience is that people want (a) easy and (b) cheap. (No ex-wife jokes here) so I'll focus on portable units.
                  Where are you going to (1) store your generator (2) set up the generator to use it? Remember, it may be severe weather so, where could you put it to keep it safe and be able to refuel it easily? If you're using power cords, will they be dry and as far out of the way as possible?
                  Small generators (less than 5500 watts) can only do so much. If you overload the unit and damage it, you won't have any power at all. So be smart! Portable units are made up to almost 20k watts but they're not for people on budgets.
                  The bottom line is to add up the load (watts) you plan to connect and size your generator at least 25% higher. When motors like the compressor in the refrigerator start up there is a sudden draw of power higher than the normal running load and you want to compensate for that.
                  Small appliances will have the wattage marked on them. Lighting circuits will be less than 1200 watts each. Water heater is 4500 watts alone.
                  Also,you'll truly get what you pay for...unless you buy from one of those guys selling from the back of their pick-up truck (don't do that). Don't wait till the last minute or you'll be stuck with whatever is left in the stores.
                  Oh, and the "trick" with connecting the generator to the dryer outlet to backfeed the house? DON'T YOU DARE!! It will result in damage and/or injury...However, I just got a cummins one even my brother told me that honda and generac are very famous.
                  Hope that helped a little...sorry it's so wordy

Comment

you can feed the house through the dryer circuit as long as you turn off the main breaker power. you have to be sure to turn off your generator and unplug it from the wall before you turn on the main power. it does have some serious potential danger though. not for someone who doesn't know what they are doing.
                    sigpic
                    Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                    92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                    88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                    88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                    87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                    12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
                      you can feed the house through the dryer circuit as long as you turn off the main breaker power. you have to be sure to turn off your generator and unplug it from the wall before you turn on the main power. it does have some serious potential danger though. not for someone who doesn't know what they are doing.

I COULD do that, but won't be going that route. If I cheap out on the transfer switch, it would be by putting in a manual interlock plate in the breaker panel and adding a double pole circuit just to go to my exterior power inlet box. Even there I'd just be relying on guestimates as to how much wattage I'm trying to pull. The nice thing about the manual transfer switch panels I'm looking at is that they have wattage meters for each leg of power so you can quickly tell if you're within your generators limitations.

The most recent Consumer Reports testing had the Honda EU7000 at #1 of course, but unless I find someone giving one away on craigslist, the cost is hard to justify. At number two they had a Kohler PRO7.5e which may work for just the essentials although it is only 6300 running watts. According to their testing, some of the conventional generators provide cleaner power than others with the Kohler being very good.
                      -Franklin D. Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
                      X