Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M20 AFM to M30 AFM with 19lb injector questions

Hey Guys,

I have done alot of research on alot of the forums but I havnt come down to a definite answer.

I currently have an 1990 e30 325is with a that was converted to a 2.7 stroker. This being said, I wanted to do the M30 AFM with the 19lb injectors. This will be running on a K&N filter in the stock airbox. Do you guys feel like this is the correct route to go? considering the stock injectors (14.5lbs) are not even adequate for the 325is engine.

Thanks,
    Chris

First off, its a great little upgrade but you will not be able to run the M30 AFM inside your stock air box. You will need to buy a 3 inch cone air filter. Other than that, its a great mod for your engine.

Taylor
    Need a performance chip for you BMW? Shoot me a PM and I'll get you taken care of!!
    Taylor- Follow me on Instagram @e30_fiend

Comment

isn't this like 3rd time this week a post like this go up

Comment

If you need a M30 let me know, I have two of them, one with the airbox.
        sigpic
        New website releasing soon www.gutenparts.com Guten Parts + Service | Facebook | Twitter

Levent
        %20levent@gutenparts.com

Comment

Originally posted by ZM Blue Devil View Post
          If you need a M30 let me know, I have two of them, one with the airbox.
          im sorry if this is a repeated post....but for my defense its added to a stroker....

ok im an idiot... hahahaha..... next time ill search harder
          Last edited by p0cket penguins; 07-24-2008, 06:40 AM.

Comment

Hey ZM, how much for the one with the air box? And do you think it will fit ok in place of the stock air box?

Thanks,
            Matt
            90 Bronzit 325is (I <3 my e30!) RIP. Best car ever.
            83 Delphin 320i (R.est I.n P.ieces)
            07 STI Stg2 (Sold)

Comment

Originally posted by E30_fiend View Post
              First off, its a great little upgrade but you will not be able to run the M30 AFM inside your stock air box. You will need to buy a 3 inch cone air filter. Other than that, its a great mod for your engine.

Taylor
              What he said - I had a stock box/m20 afm/k&n drop in, swapped to 19# design III injectors, m30 afm, had to put a cone filter on.

One of THE best mods to date - for about $65 I have a lot better throttle response, and my car sounds like a Hoover at WOT :) Love it - really wakes up my stroker!
              Originally posted by alpinaclone
              Since the real economy is in the shitter, I say we start our own.

This is how it works; you buy my junk, then I will buy more junk and so on so forth etc. etc. Think of the future of your children and buy my stuff.

Comment

Noobs, you can mount an M20 airbox to an M30 AFM. Just get creative.

BTW I didn't, I have a cone + heatshield. But I know several local guys who have done it.

Comment

im gonna mount the m30 directly to the m20 airbox.... i got the dremel to prove it

Comment

lol, ok then, I'll have a noobie question, since it's here.

How about 325e?

E and I have different AFMs. and between E, 84-85 is different from 86-87.

Who do you do then, anyone?

Comment

So last night I installed both the m30 afm and bosch type III 19 lb injectors.

total costs
                      m30 afm with 027 last serial digits -- $50 shipped from bimmerforums classifieds
                      bosch type III 19 lb injectors (8) with 45K miles -- $24 shipped from ebay
                      can of carb cleaner -- $3.99 from autozone
                      Bottle of injector cleaner -- $4.99 from autozone

Remember to unplug the battery

1. clean injectors with solutions
                      2. widen rectangular hole in air box cover to fit the new m30 afm.
                      3. use jb weld puddy to make a flat surface with the old plastic molded m20 mount to the airbox.
                      4. allow to dry, sand till flush with the old plastic molded m20 mount, and drill two new top holes for the m30 mounting screws (phillps head). (the bottom screws should fit since the gate on the m30 is taller than the m20)
                      5. put a bead of silicon around the m30 afm and air box junction and use screws to tighten together.
                      6. fabricate a little aluminum support just for insurance and peace of mind to hold up the AFM stable above the airbox.
                      7. re install in car and do not adjust the afm. (stretch the intake boot over the m30... its slightly hard but if heated a bit it will fit fine)
                      8. install injectors in the fuel rail
                      9 allow the car to adjust to the new mixture for 10 miles
                      Last edited by p0cket penguins; 08-12-2008, 07:05 AM.

Comment

A littlle late to the party, but here's a classic article on this upgrade....

Jon
                        Rides...
                        1991 325i - sold :(
                        2004 2WD Frontier King Cab

RIP #17 Jules Bianchi

Comment

Yes i read that article... I used the stock air box and he used a cone filter... i wanted to put the information out for people that search since i couldnt find it when i was starting this mod.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon325i View Post
                            A littlle late to the party, but here's a classic article on this upgrade....

Jon
                            Do you have to swap the electronics?

Comment

not if you get an afm ending in "027"

Comment

Working...
                              X