The US doomed to be dumb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smooth View Post
    MrBurgandy, as soon as you learn how to construct a valid position it'll make the conversation a bit more interesting
    On it Dr. Smooth
    Originally posted by wholepailofwater
    Q
    :devil:

WTB: Dove Grey e36 Front Door Panels (2 door)

Comment

I'm sure you're making six figures decay--all on your high school diploma.

I also make above the median wage, but it took a PhD/JD to do it. I don't consider it wasted time, though.

If you thought me writing you could look up my degrees if you were curious was me bragging that's odd you would come back with a post solely devoted to your lack of formal education and hundreds of thousands of dollars of income. You come across as a very sad and bitter human being.

MrBurgandy, as soon as you learn how to construct a valid position it'll make the conversation a bit more interesting. No one said your friends made a poor decision, but that doesn't mean that everyone who earns an EE will get their dream job straight out of college. Many of those positions are being filled by H1Bs and people on straight vocational tracks like that will be assed out in this nimble economy.

If you both only have a high school diploma and/or a 4 year degree, that would explain a lot of what's going sideways in this thread. There doesn't seem to be much else of value here. Have fun.
      Blah blah blah

Comment

It seems that after bumping a week+ old post to obviously troll for a reaction and then getting exactly that, smooth decided to flag a couple of the responses he received.

So I took the liberty of editing out the blatantly "offensive" parts. Let me know if I missed anything.

As you were.
        Originally posted by kronus
        would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

If you both only have a high school diploma and/or a 4 year degree, that would explain a lot of what's going sideways in this thread. There doesn't seem to be much else of value here. Have fun.
          Maybe I should go back to school for my Masters or PhD, so I'll have something of value to contribute. Because, you know, you need one of dem to talk here in dis dun thread so Dr. smooth dont dun get mad at u for sayin' art history majors make muh coffies when the sun sterts cuming up for werk time

Edit; Not even surprised that he or she flagged a post.

That's exactly what I'd expect from a LA major in 2017 :giggle:

Hey, Decay, don't call smooth an *whispers* "a hole" :oops: Smooth has gosh darn feelings
          Last edited by MrBurgundy; 08-04-2017, 02:50 PM.
          Originally posted by wholepailofwater
          Q
          :devil:

WTB: Dove Grey e36 Front Door Panels (2 door)

Comment

What a fun guy, I've never reported anything on any of the forums I'm on.
            Last edited by Mediumrarechicken; 08-04-2017, 03:27 PM.

Comment

You come across as a very sad and bitter human being.
              on the contrary, i'm quite happy with my life.

if you had used the adjective "caustic", then, i'd smile and nod.

sad and bitter people do things like talking shit about other people's life paths in order to shore up their own lack of self-esteem.

*pointed look*
              past:
              1989 325is (learner shitbox)
              1986 325e (turbo dorito)
              1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
              1985 323i baur
              current:
              1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

I cut out a few paragraphs from the beginning, too. I don't have very much faith in your attention span based on past interactions.

Journalism is a liberal arts degree. It sounds like you're just spouting off bullshit about some college student working part time in a coffee shop.

Asking oneself, "what am I going to do with my degree" is not a "huge" caveat for most people. I feel sorry for you if you find that kind of introspection onerous.

It's clear you don't even understand what you're bitching about.
                You're still ignoring the part of the article I added back in.

Add Technical Skills to the communication skills and THEN they are valuable.

There wasn't much of a point in the nonsense he vomited up into that post. It's difficult to take his claims seriously with the atrocious lack of logical sequencing in his "points."

That said, some people are slower than others in their career trajectories. I'm not going to hold it against him.
                You're the only one that didn't seem to understand.......pretty sad for someone with your vastly superior level of education.

How well should I congratulate someone for taking a decade to get into what he characterized as a "real" job?

He's a journalism major who can barely string coherent sentences together shitting on other liberal arts degree holders. I couldn't care less about his contribution to the work force.
                Sick burn bro, sick burn.

Oh I had great job out of college, just not a superbly high paying. In 2006 I graduated to a $40k year job with benefits, PTO, etc.

(Maybe the author had a point about communication since everyone else understood what I was getting at, but you're attempting to be pedantic whilst not being very good at it. The irony is astounding.)

It took almost a decade to be able to get the kind of job I have now with a Fortune 75 company. Where I make great money in a place where it's cheap to live, have ridiculous benefits, work from home 2-3 days per week. When I do go into the office we wear shorts, flip flops, T-shirts.

The difference is, kids come out of school nowadays and think they deserve the kind of job I have now........right off the bat, just because they have a degree.

If you want to shit up the thread quit whining when someone puts you in your place.

Why are you whiteknighting for him anyway? Can't journalism majors handle their own scuffles?
                I can handle it fine. Again, everyone else got it except it you.
                Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
                Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
                One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

If you thought me writing you could look up my degrees if you were curious was me bragging that's odd you would come back with a post solely devoted to your lack of formal education and hundreds of thousands of dollars of income. You come across as a very sad and bitter human being.
                  Superb grasp of syntax and grammar.

Also, the last sentence, again, beyond ironic.

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

Why do you keep misusing irony?

Aren't you a technical writer with a journalism degree? That's irony.
                    Das ist nicht nur nicht richtig, es ist nicht einmal falsch!

Comment

Or am I being supermeta? Or do you care to wax philosophical on the many accepted, and often incongruous, definitions of irony?

Keep fighting the good fight bro!

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

I'm waiting smooth. Or do you think using legalese makes you "intelligent?"

I know people with PhD's in ME that can't change the oil in their car.

So are you in private practice, or do you depend on the taxpayers for your salary?

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

i'm pretty sure he's taken cover.

when the mods complain about you being a little bitch, you're running out of options...
                          past:
                          1989 325is (learner shitbox)
                          1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                          1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                          1985 323i baur
                          current:
                          1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

^

lol, yeah he likes to come in every now and again and tell us how smart he is and how many letters hes got before and after his name, yes he is some kinda professor of something legal related, and refuses consider any point of view from anything other than the saddle of his very lofty equine.
                            Originally posted by Fusion
                            If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                            The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                            William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
                              ^

Balance the check book is no different than balancing your debit card transactions Vs Credits. Its the very same thing debits need to total less than debits no matter where the debits come from, its part of your budgeting process. Yes I know the bank will do that for you now, but its a valuable skill to know and understand before you enter "real life".

Hell I just wrote out a 2k CHECK yesterday, to pay our hay guy, because I wanted a record of the transaction as positively paid (vs hand the guy cash) and our hay supplier does not swipe cards. You run into this kinda situation much more in rural places, but I digress.

Why do you need all the arts/humanities/women's studies/african basket weaving/ etc... when you want to and really only need learn about fluid dynamics, thermodynamics, maths, geology, physics, physiology, biology, law. etc for your chosen field of study..... Because it helps run up the bill, and helps to reinforce ideas on ALL the students in the system....... What a great way to hasten massive social change, than by forcing everyone to take such courses if the want their paperwork that they cant get the "job" without..........

Edit: on that note why does the federal govt, force institutions that accept govt backed loans and or grants etc. to teach mandatory courses that are slighted to a certain point of view. And Vehemently go after schools that dont accept federal backed dollars and look for ways to force them to capitulate
                              Find a hay guy that accepts bitcoin then have your recorded ledger in the blockchain. J/K, of course you wrote a check.

Aside from requirements specific to a set of coursework, colleges require so many credits in areas outside of the primary track to supposedly crate a more rounded individual and experience. There were a lot of those classes that I did not need but actually learned quite a bit.

Like English requirements for my biology/chemistry degree. Essay writing, analytical writing, and technical writing. Well technical writing became one of the most important courses I took. If one cannot write well it will inhibit opportunities in the specific field of study.

The psychology courses were mostly boring but again learned quite a bit and use it in interpersonal interactions all the time.

Even the one spanish course I took had some merit to it. Understanding the language structure was important.

I had to take a couple of arts courses. I took Theater, Art History, and I think that was all I needed. Those were probably the biggest waste of time for me.

That said, there were only a couple that I would not have taken given the option and most of those ended up being in my benefit.

Sure the college makes money off of these classes but it isn't like they cost more that the classes specific to my needs.

Trades programs do not have these requirements but are often limited to an associates degree or certificate.

Anti intellectualism is not a good thing for this country or any country for that matter. Nor is giving people responsibility out of there scope of experience. Rick Perry is a prime example. The guy in charge of all of the national labs in this country did not know that was the job. Dangerous.
                              Last edited by Dagamus(NM); 08-06-2017, 04:14 PM. Reason: I like to misspell things with consequences in context. Edited given the topic at hand.
                              sigpic
                              Gun control means using both hands
                              Sex, Drugs, Rock 'n roll. Pick two.

Comment

Originally posted by Dagamus(NM) View Post
                                Anti intellectualism is not a good thing for this country or any country for that matter. Nor is giving people responsibility out of there scope of experience. Rick Perry is a prime example. The guy in charge of all of the national labs in this country did not know that was the job. Dangerous.
                                Yup and he's a completely unqualified idiot for the position and doing a horrible job so far:

Donald Trump’s secretary of energy, Rick Perry, once campaigned to abolish the $30 billion agency that he now runs, which oversees everything from our nuclear arsenal to the electrical grid. The department’s budget is now on the chopping block. But does anyone in the White House really understand what the Department of Energy actually does? And what a horrible risk it would be to ignore its extraordinary, life-or-death responsibilities?

This is the single worst part about trump's admin--appointing completely unqualified people to run departments with very serious ramifications for these poor choices.

and lol at anyone reporting posts here (other than spammers)

Comment

Working...
                                X