E30 Turbo and Auto X?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 Turbo and Auto X?

Ive never gone to any AutoX events, so i dont know very much about them, but I'm very interested in gettign started. I have plans by the end of the summer to turbo my car, but I was wondering if this would be a bad idea since I noticed that almost all E30 AutoX cars are NA. Would the turbo make it more difficult for me to AutoX, or would it help improve my times? I guess it would really come down to how well I could control the turboed car, without spiinning my wheels and what not.

smooth throttle application, keep it boosted, watch out for those damn orange gnomes, they're out to get you

Comment

well driven turbo miatas kick ass at the autocross, so i think an similarly driven e30 turbo would rock.
      BEERTECH

Comment

Awesome. I just wanted to make sure I wasnt heading in the wrong direction with this turbo setup.

Comment

as that same page, someone said a turbo would not make a great track car because of the stress of prolonged time under boost, or something.

how true would that statement be.

Granted I think a N/A track car woudl be more reliable, but turbo's are just so much better in my eyes.

Comment

Depending on where you are at you will be in a differant class than most other E30's.
            https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

You'll probably be okay, but a turbo won't neccesarily help you. all the E30s that have been at the autocrosses I've been to were pretty competetive with stock motors. I say take the car autocrossing now, learn how to drive it first, then make it faster. :)
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

If that puts you in SM, you're going to get creamed either way. In the SF region there is an S54 powered E36 that is terrorizing the ranks, along with 400hp R32s...I'd check and see for sure what class you'd be in.

Comment

Well, If a turboed e30 does put me in that class, I guess I'm not ready for AutoX yet.

I just want a car thats fast on the street and is fun to drive on the track in a noncompetative environment.

Thanks for your help anyways guys.

Comment

Originally posted by KrayZE30
                    I just want a car thats fast on the street and is fun to drive on the track in a noncompetative environment.
                    one word, suspersion

Comment

One correctly spelled word: suspension.

"See, we're adding a little something to this month's sales contest. As you all know, first prize is a Cadillac Eldorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired."

Comment

Autocross courses are generally too short and windy for you to get any speed. It is all about car control, not how fast you can accelerate. With this in mind, plus the fact that you would be dealing with turbo lag, I don't think you would have a major advantage with a turboed car.

Comment

Working...
                        X