Auto-X - - 15x7 versus 14x6.5 ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by M-technik-3
    been good for me, and Low Level says they are Spec tire for E30 race series. Not cheap like the ES100's though. About $125 each as opposed to $82 each.
    No no - slight misunderstanding --- spec tire for Speed World Challenge, not for Spec E30 - beginning with the T1-S, and then on to the RA-1.

Go about 3/4 of the way down on this link, under the Toyo paragraph --- http://www.speedvisionwc.com/sponsors.html

And yes, that's correct --- there is no current spec tire for SpecE30 --- must people are using either Kumho's or Toyo's, though. The RA-1 is going to be spec for SpecE30 in '05, in a 205/50 for 15-inch'ers.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuff240
      T1-S is not a DOT-r tire. Are you saying that the toyo RA-1's are DOT-R?
      What I'm saying is that the 2005 Spece30 tire will be the R-compound Toyo. They have no "spec" tire right now.

*Edit- The RA1 is however the SpecMiata spec tire already.
      Not to correct you, but I believe that the spec tire for SM is regional specific. Aren't Hankooks being used in certain regions?

Mike-who'd rather choose his tire than be told what to use.

Comment

Re: Auto-X - - 15x7 versus 14x6.5 ??

Originally posted by rwh11385
        Only thing is the 15" is light, but my car feels quicker on the baskets anyway.
        The reason your car feels quicker on weaves is because of the tires on those Type C's. Not only are they heavier, but they give you worse gearing for acceleration.

Your car still might feel quicker on the weaves, but there won't be nearly as big of a difference with properly sized tires.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike P.
          T1-S is not a DOT-r tire. Are you saying that the toyo RA-1's are DOT-R?
          What I'm saying is that the 2005 Spece30 tire will be the R-compound Toyo. They have no "spec" tire right now.

*Edit- The RA1 is however the SpecMiata spec tire already.
          Not to correct you, but I believe that the spec tire for SM is regional specific. Aren't Hankooks being used in certain regions?

Mike-who'd rather choose his tire than be told what to use.
          You might be right, but my region is Toyo's. ;)
          -Patrick

Comment

Originally posted by Low Level E30
            No no - slight misunderstanding --- spec tire for Speed World Challenge, not for Spec E30 - beginning with the T1-S, and then on to the RA-1.

Go about 3/4 of the way down on this link, under the Toyo paragraph --- http://www.speedvisionwc.com/sponsors.html
            Wow, I can't believe they started on regular street tires.
            -Patrick

Comment

Wow, I can't believe they started on regular street tires.
              I know - me neither...

... but it definitely says something about the T1-S, don't ya think?

I mean, I know people are gonna go "Oh, it was a buy-out, Toyo put up the best deal, that's why they got it, it has nothing to do with the tire" etc etc ---- but I do think that's BS. The way I figure it, the T1-S has to at least be a very good to excellent handling high performance tire --- if it's not the absolute best, compared to say, S03s - well, then that's just splitting hairs.

But race regulators and racers alike are good at splitting hairs ;) - gotta be to get by.

Kickass series though - very entertaining, I think, as a spectator - although this Caddy thing pisses me off :roll:

Comment

Re: Auto-X - - 15x7 versus 14x6.5 ??

Originally posted by Bill 84 318i
                The reason your car feels quicker on weaves is because of the tires on those Type C's. Not only are they heavier, but they give you worse gearing for acceleration.

Your car still might feel quicker on the weaves, but there won't be nearly as big of a difference with properly sized tires.
                I retract what I said about my wheels feeling heavy. That statement was based on only a few driving sessions. Now it feels great and quick.

The gear change was about 2% I think, or whatever, so that is making the car a little slower. And yes the tires are heavier. And the tires are decent....for now.....they get me around. Avid H4s (oversized baby!)

I'm looking forward to getting the 205/55-15's on. Of course, I'm going to wait until the rear bushings are taken care of. Because I want to buy adjustable camber trailing arm bushings and no purpose wearing tires up when I can wait.

I don't think I need 225s at all now. A tit bit of overkill. Don't you think? ;)

Comment

I'm running 15 X 7 Kosei Wheels with 205/55/15 ES100s. I run these on the street and auto-x. For the street they are A+, plenty of grip for playing on-ramps/off ramps etc. They wear well and the price is reasonable. For autocross I'd give them a B for a non-R compound tire. I will probably go wth the Falken Azenis in 205/50s the next time I need tires and give up the ES100s practicality on the street for more autocross grip.

M. Martel
                  91 318is

Comment

Working...
                  X