Auto-x Tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Auto-x Tires

Later this season I may end up getting some lightweight rims and tires for autocrossing. I was hoping to get some 16s. I don't have a clue where to start though, it seems a lot of people run the Kuhmo Victoracer 700, but they don't seem to have a size that would work for a 16" rim on an E30. I don't have a clue with the Hoosiers, there's lots of them.
    Also, there are other things that I do not know if they would be a benefit or not for autocross like with tread, without tread, tread on the outside only, blackwall (???), etc., etc.

Can someone give me advice on what I should get for probably a 16" wheel? I use the car as my daily driver, but has a trackworthy suspension setup. I do about 4-5 autocrosses per year and would like to someday get it on the track.

Thanks!
    -Brandon
    '86 325es S50
    '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
    '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
    '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:
    S50 TMS chip for Schricks

If you can stand it run 15's. There are way more tires and 16" tire selection sucks hard. 225/50-15 is your best bet (cheaper too). You can run the Kumho's, Yoko A032R's, Hoosier's, I don't suggest the Michelin pilot sport cup because they take a while to heat up and that is not useful for auto-x. All of the tires I mentioned are good, pick one that seems right to you.
    -Ted

Comment

I don't know what class you plan to run in but for a decent cheap tire I'm pretty happy with my Falken Azenis. True it's not anywhere close to a hardcore race tire like Ted is talking about but if you plan to run STS you might want to look into the Azenis. They have worked well for me(I'm in STS) and the top STS guys(in my area at least). Decent grip and low cost get a :up: from this broke ass auto-xer.

Comment

Yeah, I forgot about Azenis sports. I'm kinda spoiled when it comes to track tires, and I don't auto-x so classification means nothing to me.
        -Ted

Comment

azenis are good for auto x. they get crappy after they get hot and dont cool down, which makes it perfect for auto x. short runs. they are cool on a t rack, but not the best.

Comment

Yeah, I used to run Azenis Sports on the street, and really aren't a true competition tire. I'm looking for some serious grippage. It seems like a lot of people run Kuhmo Victoracers, but there are so many tread types to choose from.

I'm running in DSP. I'm pretty sure you can't run in STS. Someone told me that the type of LSD we have does not allow us to run in this class. STS is too easy for E30s.
            -Brandon
            '86 325es S50
            '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
            '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
            '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:

Comment

I can run STS because I don't have an LSD :( . But you are correct about the differential. If I had a limited slip I'd be put in STX and where I'd get my ass obliterated every time.

Comment

Originally posted by Bitburger
                I can run STS because I don't have an LSD :( . But you are correct about the differential. If I had a limited slip I'd be put in STX and where I'd get my ass obliterated every time.
                STX I'm not familiar with, must be a new one. What kind of cars run in that?
                -Brandon
                '86 325es S50
                '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
                '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
                '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:

Comment

Originally posted by Beej '86 325es
                  Yeah, I used to run Azenis Sports on the street, and really aren't a true competition tire. I'm looking for some serious grippage. It seems like a lot of people run Kuhmo Victoracers, but there are so many tread types to choose from.

I'm running in DSP. I'm pretty sure you can't run in STS. Someone told me that the type of LSD we have does not allow us to run in this class. STS is too easy for E30s.
                  Hoosiers or nothing.

If you want to save some cash, and are not really concerned with being competitive, you can snag a set of Kumho V700's (the v710's are recalled), The old victoracers are still out there in some pipelines, but not many in sizes that fit e30's.

As for e30's being too competitive for STS, where are you running? Come out to some cendiv events, I doubt there'd be many 2800 pound e30's that would hang with 140+hp 1950 pound hondas on the same 225 width tire.

As for STX, that's basically spec-WRX, been around for at least 3 years. It's STS rules with a wider tire, a few brake mods allowed, and LSD's are legal. I and a couple of other e30's run that class, albeit not particularly competitively.

-Charlie
                  Swing wild, brake later, don't apologize.
                  '89 324d, '76 02, '98 318ti, '03 Z4, '07 MCS, '07 F800s - Bonafide BMW elitist prick.
                  FYYFF

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie
                    Originally posted by Beej '86 325es

Hoosiers or nothing.

If you want to save some cash, and are not really concerned with being competitive, you can snag a set of Kumho V700's (the v710's are recalled), The old victoracers are still out there in some pipelines, but not many in sizes that fit e30's.

As for e30's being too competitive for STS, where are you running? Come out to some cendiv events, I doubt there'd be many 2800 pound e30's that would hang with 140+hp 1950 pound hondas on the same 225 width tire.

As for STX, that's basically spec-WRX, been around for at least 3 years. It's STS rules with a wider tire, a few brake mods allowed, and LSD's are legal. I and a couple of other e30's run that class, albeit not particularly competitively.

-Charlie

The other E30s I ran with were doing DSP, so I stuck with that. I ran STS once in my home town (northern Illinois) and just destroyed everyone, I felt bad being in that class. There weren't any cars that had an excessive amounts of mods though, and neither them nor I had R compound tires. I think here in St. Louis they would be much more competetive though as the STS class is much larger. Without some Hoosiers I would probably be left behind.

Got a recommendation on which Hoosier? There were like 4 or 5 of them to choose from.
                    -Brandon
                    '86 325es S50
                    '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
                    '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
                    '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie
                      As for STX, that's basically spec-WRX
                      Thats an understatement

07 335xi Sport
                      00 S2k
                      01 A4 1.8t-Sold
                      88 M3-Sold
                      91 325iC-Totaled
                      89 325iS - Sold
                      87 325-Totaled

Comment

There's only the one Hoosier, the RS (road course) or AS (autox) compound, in either the 303 (last years) or 304, (this years). tire. It's probably gonna get harder to locate the 303's, so the 304 is what you want to go with. Not cheap obviously, but those are the tires you want if you want to run up front. Obviously, these are an R compound, so if you were thinking of running STX, then they're out.

-Charlie
                        Swing wild, brake later, don't apologize.
                        '89 324d, '76 02, '98 318ti, '03 Z4, '07 MCS, '07 F800s - Bonafide BMW elitist prick.
                        FYYFF

Comment

Na, screw STX, sounds like I'd get cleaned up in there. The Hoosiers are legal in DSP though right? I haven't autocrossed in a couple of years due to my non-existent college student income. Finally I've fixed the stuff I needed to so I can get back out there.
                          -Brandon
                          '86 325es S50
                          '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
                          '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
                          '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:

Comment

Where do you guys buy your Hoosiers at? I'm looking at Tire Rack and cannot find a 225/50/15 on there, let alone any diameter that is comparable to the e30's.

thnx
                            -Brandon
                            '86 325es S50
                            '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
                            '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
                            '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:

Comment

TireRack is where I get all my track tires. I don't know why you can't find a 225/50-15. You just have to search for the tire by size.

Hope that helps,
                              -Ted

Comment

Working...
                              X