camber affecting toe questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

camber affecting toe questions

So I just picked up a set of street/race IE camber plates. It was mentioned by a guy at my last autocross that if I switch back and forth between street mode and race mode it will affect toe when changing camber.

So the simple question in my mind is how much will a couple degrees camber effect toe? I figure there might be some sort of reasonable sweet spot for toe so I can pull up to the autocross, adjust plates, and when I leave the event set it back to a more reasonable street setup.

Camber changes will change toe a lot. Increasing negative camber will increase toe-out. You'll want to set your toe based on the camber you plan to run on the street, as that will be most of your driving. And you'll want to be able to adjust it back to that *exact* position after an autox. A small camber change isn't a huge deal in itself, but a small toe change will chew up tires like crazy. The problem is, I doubt you'll be in a desirable toe range at the autox when you adjust your camber.

Honestly, unless you're super serious about autox, are a VERY good driver, and the rest of the car is fully sorted, I'd just find a happy medium. I run -1.5* in the front. No excessive camber wear, but sufficient negative camber for a decent contact patch while cornering. Yes, -3 degrees is great with sticky tires on the track, but it's not like it's going to transform the car into a go kart.
    85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
    e30 restoration and V8 swap
    24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

I just ran a lot of camber on the street. It's a bit annoying in the freeway ruts,
      but otherwise, you're just balancing out tire wear from track days!

I didn't find that moving the camber plates changed toe all that much,
      but I have to admit that I also didn't do it very often.

So, Cap'n, try it and see! It's easy to set toe with plates and tape measures.
      Plus, for autocross, you'll probably want to toe out anyways, to some amount...

t
      now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

I guess an easy way to find out my toe change would just be to measure toe in each camber setting and from there decide how I would like toe set. Time to order some toe plates.

Comment

They're invaluable. You can make your own very easily, too.

t
          now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

I had a race shop measure toe before and after adjusting camber by 1 degree (from 2.5 to 3.5) and IIRC it increased toe-out by 1/4". I had them mark both 2.5 and 3.5 degrees, set it at 1/8" toe in at 2.5 degrees for a street setting and push them in to 3.5 degrees for track days, and the toe adjusts itself to 1/8" toe out. Works pretty well.

Comment

1/8" in/out is definitely on the fat side both ways, but if you don't want to adjust toe that's about the best thing you can do. Other option is to buy some toe plates and just do the adjustment. Not hard at all
              - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

Working...
              X