Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M3 Ground Control setup. Spring rates? Camber plates? Rear camber/toe kit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M3 Ground Control setup. Spring rates? Camber plates? Rear camber/toe kit?

Hey guys,

About to pull the trigger on ordering the Ground Control coil-over setup. Yes, I'm cutting the strut housings. https://groundcontrolstore.com/colle...nt=35512824643

What are your thoughts on spring rates? The car will be driven 95% on streets as a weekend car, perhaps some non-competitive track driving from time to time. I do care about street-a-bility, but have a tolerance for a stiff ride. Donovan at Ground Control recommended 400 in/lb, 600 in/lb out back.

For camber plates, Donovan recommended "street".

My builder recommended looking into installing a rear camber/toe adjustment kit. Any thoughts on this and a particular brand? They all look the same. I saw: https://store.garagistic.com/Complet...iABEgIXyvD_BwE

Will be getting alignment and corner weighting dead on.

Of note, the car is nearing the end of a complete restoration...new everything suspension wise. I'm sticking with OEM bushings. Sub-frame will be dropped anyhow, so there is opportunity to install the rear camber/toe kit.

Thanks,

Kevin

I just revamped my suspension this summer with the ground control kit. I worked with Donovan & Trevor to dial everything how I wanted. A drive my car in a similar fashion to u. Predominantly street/twisties with a track day here and there. I didn’t want to cut my housings due the how much they are worth so through some trial and error this is what I ended up with for a perfect ride height & dynamics with my tire setup.

16”x8” BBS on 225/45/16 tires
    Full GC kit 400/600 springs
    Front springs swapped from 6” to 5” length as without cutting the housings there was way too much wheel gap for my taste
    Hybrid Street Prepared camber plates
    The bump stops are cut to 1/3 the original size

I have the front struts currently set in full soft and the rear installed at a quarter turn. Car feels tight and nimble. Ride is firm but not rough. Our roads are pretty terrible and so far I haven’t hit the bump stops.
    Camber is set at -2.5 all around

My next step is to do the rear camber/toe kit as there is currently no way to adjust so u are at the mercy of how much the car is lowered.

I do feel cutting the struts is a better option but wanted to give u another option.

Cheers

Amit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '89 BMW M3
    '94 BMW 318i Touring
    '11 BMW 1M
    '97 BMW 328i
    '89 BMW 325i w/M52 (Race Car)
    pixsoul.ca | electricpixel.ca

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin M View Post
      What are your thoughts on spring rates? The car will be driven 95% on streets as a weekend car, perhaps some non-competitive track driving from time to time. I do care about street-a-bility, but have a tolerance for a stiff ride. Donovan at Ground Control recommended 400 in/lb, 600 in/lb out back.

For camber plates, Donovan recommended "street".
      I have the CCPE30SP (SCCA street prepared) plates and love them.
      Similar spring rates. 440/650. This was recommended to me by Dustin and I am very happy with these rates.

Originally posted by Kevin M View Post
      My builder recommended looking into installing a rear camber/toe adjustment kit. Any thoughts on this and a particular brand? They all look the same. I saw: https://store.garagistic.com/Complet...iABEgIXyvD_BwE
      They are not all created equal. There are two types: eccentric bolt and posi-lock. The posi-lock are superior in my opinion. They don't have as many issues with coming loose (although it does happen) and allow for a much wider range of adjustment. Ireland Engineering sells a kit that I recommend.

Comment

Working...
      X