Cluster/Plate lights not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cluster/Plate lights not working

So, fuse 23 is fine. All the items that are driven off that work, except for all my cluster lights, and my license plate light.

What gives? Is there a correlation? How should I start the troubleshooting process?

Cluster illumination is fed from the dimmer switch which is very common to fail. I would first replace the fuses for that circuit, then make sure the bulbs are good, then look into the voltage output from the dimmer to the cluster.

You will want to down loan the ETM, electronic troubleshooting manual. Google it.
    Owner - Bavarian Restoration
    BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
    www.BavRest.com
    My Feedback Thread
    Our Facebook!
    Follow our Instagram!

Comment

License plate light shares power with some seemingly unrelated interior illumination items. Power goes from the fuse to a splice in the main harness between driver's seat rail and the door. I forget the wire color.

Comment

Originally posted by hoveringuy View Post
        License plate light shares power with some seemingly unrelated interior illumination items. Power goes from the fuse to a splice in the main harness between driver's seat rail and the door. I forget the wire color.
        I just had the leather on my driver side seat redone... I wonder if they messed something up in the process for the License plate light. FYI the rear side makers don't light up either. According to the ETM they share the same splice... So it sounds like removing my seat is in order...

Comment

I just had an issue with the license plate, cluster, and head lights last night. I took out the headlight dimmer switch and there was gunk on the harness connecter. I cleaned that off and put it back together and it was as good as new.

Comment

Working...
          X