No announcement yet.

Poor heat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I guess there could still be an issue with the shutoff valve being powered when it shouldn't be so worth disconnecting electrical connector as an easy diagnosis.
    Actually getting to the blend door requires box removal and disassembly ,but the control cable attaches to a lever on the right side of the box right behind the floor vent so you could remove that piece and make sure lever moves thru full motion ,but you cant see the door is actually moving inside unless the core is out and then you can see it's movement thru the slot on left side where core was as you move the temp control dial. With it out you could also check airflow thru AC evaporator to make sure it's not plugged with debris or something fallen in front of it.

I have a complete hvac box out and could try to take pics ,that diagram you posted gives and good idea how things should be just not what things are on an actual case

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk
    Angus
    88 E30M3 X2
    89 325IX
    92 R100GS/PD
    :)

Comment

Originally posted by E30andy View Post
      Am I just expecting too much from a car designed in the 80’s? Anybody from the arctic north car to weigh in with how their heater responds in this type of cold?
      In central Finland where I live, normal winter temp is +15..-22°F. E30 heater is adequate, if everything is ok.

Originally posted by E30andy View Post
      Previous owner put in new heater core and valve just a few hundred miles ago for what it’s worth.
      Originally posted by muuris View Post
      First check that the heater core hoses are not reversed. The hose from cylinder head should go to the bottom connector of heater core (near firewall).
      Did you check the hoses?
      1986 325iX
      2006 530xd

Comment

Originally posted by spdracrm3 View Post
        Well I guess there could still be an issue with the shutoff valve being powered when it shouldn't be so worth disconnecting electrical connector as an easy diagnosis.
        Actually getting to the blend door requires box removal and disassembly ,but the control cable attaches to a lever on the right sideof the box right behind the floor vent so you could remove that piece and make sure lever moves thru full motion ,but you cant see the door is actually moving inside unless the core is out and then you can see it's movement thru the slot on left side where core was as you move the temp control dial. With it out you could also check airflow thru AC evaporator to make sure it's not plugged with debris or something fallen in front of it.

I have a complete hvac box out and could try to take pics ,that diagram you posted gives and good idea how things should be just not what things are on an actual case

Just to clarify, by right side do you mean passenger side?

Pics would be great! Searching the web does not give me much on the blend door.

More info here....when I had the center console out and was able to feel the heater box and heater valve, they were hot. I recall the heater valve was so hot I had to pull my hand away. So it seems as if warm coolant is making its way into the cabin, but is not translating to warm air at the vents.
        89 325ix coupe Diamondschwartz
        1994 Mazda Miata

Comment

Originally posted by muuris View Post
          In central Finland where I live, normal winter temp is +15..-22°F. E30 heater is adequate, if everything is ok.

Did you check the hoses?
          Yes, hoses are correct.
          Cold ride to work this morning with temp at -12 here in VT!
          Last edited by E30andy; 01-02-2018, 09:04 AM.
          1994 Mazda Miata

Comment

Yes passenger side ,there is a cable that runs from bottom of temp dial over to right side where there is a linkage for the temp blend flap it is behind and just below the floor outlet on that side of the box appears to have an adjustment too. You might be able to pull a cover off left side of glovebox opening and be able to see, it if not might have to remove the floor outlet to see.
            If core is that hot its got to be an airflow issue

Angus
            88 E30M3 X2
            89 325IX
            92 R100GS/PD
            :)

Comment

I have full on honest to god didn’t need to drive with my hat on heat!

All I did was turn the temp dial back and forth a few times while I was driving home from work today, and boom, real heat from all the vents.

So I’m assuming either the blend flap was stuck and moving the temp dial a few times freed it up, or maybe there was some corrosion on the electrical connections around the temp dial that sends the signal to the heater valve were not good and rotating it improved the signal?

Weird but there it is. Hopefully it’s fixed for good! I’m grateful to you guys for helping out!
              1994 Mazda Miata

Comment

Working...
              X