How to connect an oil cooler, M60

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to connect an oil cooler, M60

Hello. Connecting the oil cooler between the outlet from the oil pump and the oil filter, is that the right way?

no, you want the cooler AFTER the filter so particles dont clog the cooler.
    also, make sure you run a thermostat or else itll take forever to warm up.
    We're in deep now boys
    1988 325i SETA - Daily driver
    1988 340iL - Track car
    My M60 V8 swap thread here
    [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

Originally posted by dasmanschaft012 View Post
      no, you want the cooler AFTER the filter so particles dont clog the cooler.
      also, make sure you run a thermostat or else itll take forever to warm up.
      make sense :) But why are people blowing up their coolers on their m60`s?

Comment

I haven't heard of that before? Most M60 in the US didnt come with coolers.

Only "arid climate" cars got coolers and a cooler thermostat (Middle East)
        We're in deep now boys
        1988 340iL - Track car
        [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

Counterpoint:

The last thing the oil should go through before it goes to your bearings should be the filter.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
            Counterpoint:

The last thing the oil should go through before it goes to your bearings should be the filter.
            So you would say that the cooler should be between the outlet of the pump and filter?

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
              Counterpoint:

I take my opinion back I like this more. TBH, either is probably ok but this sounds like a more desirable feature.
              We're in deep now boys
              1988 340iL - Track car
              [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

Originally posted by obetten View Post
                So you would say that the cooler should be between the outlet of the pump and filter?
                Right. Oil should go from the pump to the cooler to the filter and into the engine.

Comment

I connected the oilcooler after the oil filter. Reason: Hot oil flows better trough the filter. But the cooler blew up and i dont understand why?

Comment

Aftermarket or oem M20 cooler?

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                    Transaction feedback
                    - jpod999

Comment

both aftermarket. on of them was rated 500psi. edit: yes, i blew up two of them

Comment

JGood has nothing but issues with aftermarket oil coolers. Eventually just got rid of them.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                        Transaction feedback
                        - jpod999

Comment

Save yourself some time and money, just go buy a few gallons of oil and dump it all over your engine bay and underside of the car. Same result as installing an oil cooler on an m60 e30.

I have no idea why they constantly blow oil coolers (and standard spin-on filters, if you decide to make two bad decisions in a row, by converting to that as well). I gave up prior to figuring it out. The last straw was when a filter blew, covering my passenger front brake disc in oil, causing me to do a 360 on the highway when I hit the brakes, missing my buddies e39 M5 by a few feet, and somehow not flip as I slid through mud sideways.
                          85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
                          e30 restoration and V8 swap
                          24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
                            Save yourself some time and money, just go buy a few gallons of oil and dump it all over your engine bay and underside of the car. Same result as installing an oil cooler on an m60 e30.

I have no idea why they constantly blow oil coolers (and standard spin-on filters, if you decide to make two bad decisions in a row, by converting to that as well). I gave up prior to figuring it out. The last straw was when a filter blew, covering my passenger front brake disc in oil, causing me to do a 360 on the highway when I hit the brakes, missing my buddies e39 M5 by a few feet, and somehow not flip as I slid through mud sideways.
                            I'm about to switch to a spin on adapter. should i be worried :(((((
                            i also have a cooler im plumbing in (Setrab)
                            We're in deep now boys
                            1988 340iL - Track car
                            [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

Originally posted by dasmanschaft012 View Post
                              I'm about to switch to a spin on adapter. should i be worried :(((((
                              i also have a cooler im plumbing in (Setrab)
                              Both Ryan and I tried using the spin on filter adapters. My first adapter leaked from the middle of the casting as soon as I fired the car up. After replacing it, I got pin holes in every single oil filter I installed. Ryan did as well. I built an enclosure around mine to eliminate the potential from external impacts. No difference, so it was happening from the inside out. My best guess was cavitation, but I really don't know. Then Ryan and I both went through 3-4 various oil coolers, all would randomly explode, leaving the car sitting on the side of the road, luckily not blowing up the engine as we both ran oil pressure gauges and caught it in time each time.

I'll never use an aftermarket oil cooler/filter setup on a street car again. The factory stuff works 100% perfectly. It almost cost me my car/life when it hit my brakes at highway speed.
                              85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
                              e30 restoration and V8 swap
                              24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Working...
                              X