No announcement yet.

Rear Differential Rebuild/With Pictures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If it is good it will slip but very slowly and with a lot of resistance. Remember it's a LSD not a locked differential.
    [/SIGPIC]"we are so totally screwed!"

Comment

So, I installed my rebuilt diff and now I can hear my radio... funny how that happens.

Despite how bad the old diff looks the LSD is in excellent shape. I intend to rebuild this one and either keep it for a rainy day or sell it.

[/SIGPIC]"we are so totally screwed!"

Comment

Originally posted by z122643 View Post
        Now that I've got someone's attention. Anyone know how to get the pinion out?
        Either pound it out with a heavy dead blow hammer exactly in this state, or use a hydraulic press.

Originally posted by whysimon
        WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

A diff with old pinion bearings and races and Old LSD internals is NOT rebuilt

BMW's kill the pinion bearings and races first; no amount of paint or clean up will "FIX" this.
          to replace them with NEW is the proper procedure; a NEW crush washer is needed to set the drag load.

Originally posted by nando View Post
          I could, but BMW used a VC back there for a reason - to some extent a clutch diff still needs one axle to have a load on it. a VC doesn't.

a Clutch type LSD unit locks because the basket of spider gears in the middle wants to expand when One wheel is significantly different than the other; One wheel can be airborne and unloaded; it will Lock if internally proper.

A viscous LSD uses HEAT from the wheel speed difference to lock up plates in fluid; its a REACTIONARY item that locks AFTER enough heat is put into it.
          OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Originally posted by Wanganstyle View Post
            A diff with old pinion bearings and races and Old LSD internals is NOT rebuilt

BMW's kill the pinion bearings and races first; no amount of paint or clean up will "FIX" this.
            to replace them with NEW is the proper procedure; a NEW crush washer is needed to set the drag load.

a Clutch type LSD unit locks because the basket of spider gears in the middle wants to expand when One wheel is significantly different than the other; One wheel can be airborne and unloaded; it will Lock if internally proper.

A viscous LSD uses HEAT from the wheel speed difference to lock up plates in fluid; its a REACTIONARY item that locks AFTER enough heat is put into it.
            A viscous lsd uses a shear thickening silicone fluid not heat, hence VISCOUS lsd. The fluid increases viscosity with shear rate. The diff will lock after it reaches a high enough shear rate. An increase in temperature would if anything make the fluid less viscous.
            Last edited by TehRaydarlover; 11-20-2013, 04:22 PM.
            Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Build Thread
            Rear Diff Rebuild
            Rebuildable Viscous Coupling
            Transfer Case Rebuild
            "Life is simpler with 12 valves"

Comment

Originally posted by TehRaydarlover View Post
              A viscous lsd uses a shear thickening silicone fluid not heat, hence VISCOUS lsd. The fluid increases viscosity with shear rate. The diff will lock after it reaches a high enough shear rate.

A viscous lsd uses a shear thickening silicone fluid not heat, hence VISCOUS lsd. The fluid increases viscosity with shear rate. The diff will lock after it reaches a high enough shear rate.

We are both saying the same thing.

Viscous silicone fluid still needs heat to work.

Heat comes from wheel speed differences

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

We are both saying the same thing.

Viscous silicone fluid still needs heat to work.

Heat comes from wheel speed differences

No heat has nothing to do with it. Its an unwanted byproduct.
                Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Build Thread
                Rear Diff Rebuild
                Transfer Case Rebuild

Comment

No heat has nothing to do with it. Its an unwanted byproduct.
                  Google search how a viscous lsd works: Suabru and many others use them. Bmw uses a GKN VISCO-LOK viscous on e46m3 and e60 m5; im quite familiar with it.

If it was not heat expanding the silicon viscous fluid then how else would it lock up? MAGIC???

The viscous unit is a sealed capsule with fluid and discs inside. The silicon fluid gets hot and expands: locking happens then

Comment

actually I agree with him - you have it wrong. viscosity increases because of shear, not because of heat. heat is just a byproduct.
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

actually I agree with him - you have it wrong. viscosity increases because of shear, not because of heat. heat is just a byproduct.
                      Subaru factory explains it as heat expansion causing viscosity increase.

Comment

Google search how a viscous lsd works: Suabru and many others use them. Bmw uses a GKN VISCO-LOK viscous on e46m3 and e60 m5; im quite familiar with it.

If it was not heat expanding the silicon viscous fluid then how else would it lock up? MAGIC???

The viscous unit is a sealed capsule with fluid and discs inside. The silicon fluid gets hot and expands: locking happens then

lol its a material property. Simple example: have you ever played with cornstarch and water??? It gets hard when you try to stir it. It does not get hot... a lsd is fundamentally the same thing

^this

Build Thread
                        Rear Diff Rebuild
                        Transfer Case Rebuild

Comment

lol its a material property. Simple example: have you ever played with cornstarch and water??? It gets hard when you try to stir it. It does not get hot... a lsd is fundamentally the same thing

^this
                          Chicken egg equation

Realistically the plates inside vlsd will expand with heat.

This is a math bee beteeen tmi school kids

Comment

Chicken egg equation

Realistically the plates inside vlsd will expand with heat.

This is a math bee beteeen tmi school kids

How hot do you think it gets??? The plates will never expand enough to make the diff lock. If that was the case you would have to wait a while for the plates to cool down for the diff to open back up.

lol, yep. I am a senior ME student, I've done experiments with Newtonian and non-Newtonian fluids, and plotted the shear rate vs viscosity. The fluid in the vlsd is a silicone based dilatant fluid. Do some searches about vlsd on pages other than Wikipedia, you'll see what I'm trying to say.

Build Thread
                            Rear Diff Rebuild
                            Transfer Case Rebuild

Comment

A tiny bit. Not some extrene

Research and ask your professors

Comment

I've done the research and the experiments to prove it. Evidently you haven't.

Build Thread
                                Rear Diff Rebuild
                                Transfer Case Rebuild

Comment

Working...
                                X