No announcement yet.

*Updated & only kinda shitty now!* The definitive 5.0/302 swap guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just grabbed the block with the crank, pistons and rods, buying new heads (trick flo or pro comp). Drove for 2 hours, paid $120. I will start a thread when i get some kind of progress going.

Comment

i hear trick flows are good, but that afr's are the shit. sbf tech should be a good source of info for head debates.

Comment

Yeah I heard the same but they are super pricey(for good reason of course). I am planning on backing up the heads with a cam to hopefully reach my power goals.

Comment

Be careful on the Pro Comp heads....
          sigpic

Comment

now that I think about it... isn't pro comp some sort of crap ebay brand? I've heard of people having to do machine work out of the box or something.. if they're the $6-700 pair of heads then they're the ones I'm thinking of.

Comment

ProComp = ebay China heads. Hit or miss. There is an aluminum GT40 replica head on ebay that is made in Australia that's apparently ok.
              sigpic

Comment

If you get the pro comps bare and assemble them with good parts they are a decent enough head. Afr 165 will limit you if you ever go bigger than a 302. Trick flow fast as cast are the ones to have for a stock bottom end with future upgrades in mind. Edelbrock e streets are good too.
                sigpic

Comment

yeah i noticed i couldn't find them any where else but ebay so going with a set of trick flows from summit

Comment

good tips here. im very interested in doing a 5.0 swap.
                    around how much you folks got into this swap?
                    i know itll depend a lot on what ill be doing.

Comment

Here's my basic parts list for a respectable carb'd setup

I'll add this to the first post soon:

1. Block (got mine for) - $300

2. Heads - $1200+ (mine were 1200)

3. Rockers, pushrods - $400

4. Cam - $250

5. Tranny - $400-1200 (bought a rebuilt one. Didn't have a press at the time)

6. Clutch - $350 (for one that will hold up to your power levels)

7. Carb, filter, intake - $500

8. Driveshaft - $300

9. 3G alternator +wiring - $200

10. Adequate radiator - $200-300 (I got the mishimoto z3 rad, not enough clearance imo)

11. Oil pan modification - $80 (although this was done through the shop I used to work for. Not sure how much it would cost to have it modified walking in off the street)

12. HP/HF oil pump - $100 (I think. Milodon was the one I went with. price includes hardened driveshaft, which is recommended for a high pressure, high flow pump)

13. Gauges - $150-600 (this is what can get surprisingly expensive really fast. I bought electrical gauges [which I recommend... hot fluids in the passenger compartment suck] and the fancy ultralites at that too)

All those numbers (for what I bought and recommend) add up to $5780. There's some little stuff I'm missing, like rings, bearings, gasket set, ect so we'll say $6k for now. Just bought a chopsaw and I'm ordering some pipe from summit so I can make a real exhaust. Hopefully I'll spend less than $500 on the exhaust (yes, it could be done for much less, but I want a quiet muffler and an electric cutout so that really adds to the cost)

Comment

You could do a stock 5.0 swap for $1,000 if you've got a well stocked junkyard you can go to and can do the fabrication stuff yourself. In the race car I'm probably at about $2,000 for the swap components and accessories, but we got the engine from a JY for $250 and I got a T-5Z trans, clutch/plate, bellhousing, flywheel for $600.
                        sigpic

Comment

I can't figure out why people go through the trouble and inconveniences of having a v8 e30 for 200-220whp... and that's with a fuel injected h.o. running good.

Comment

300#'s of torque to go along with that 225 HP rating. Calculating horsepower is a function of RPM....and those engine's don't rev. A stock 5.0L would be plenty rewarding, I think, until you could afford some upgrades.
                            sigpic

Comment

This swap cant be done properly with 1k. Realisticly even fabbing everything yourself your looking $2000. That will get you engine/tranny/driveline/clutch/pedal/odds and ends/mounts/pan. Thats assuming your dumping the exhaust and not routing it back. You can cut costs and pick stuff up for cheaper here and there but id say for a well sorted setup that isnt hacked together your looking at closer to 4k and thats a stock setup. You'll be spending $1000 on the pedal/slave/pedal box/mc setup alone to do it the right way. Figure $1000 on exhaust for headers and a not hackjob custom. (Thats assuming you dont have the know how to build your own . 95% dont) engine and tranny will realisticly be 500-1000 for a stock/mild built setup.
                              You've got another $500-1000 in random parts(mounts/pan/filter relocation or cooler, gauges, accesory mount stuff (assuming your at least yarding the ac)
                              500-1000 in cooling componants( rad /fan /switch setups)

Biggest costs that will sneak up on you are exhausts and pedal stuff. I live im bumfuck wa and still got stopped and warned for my dumps. You will need an exhaust of some sort. You can hack together a wilwood pedal setup and even make the booster delete yourself but its gonna be a hodgepodge of shit that will either fail on you or just look hacked together.

Comment

$1,000 for pedal, MC, etc? What all are you using?

Here's what I've done:

Massive booster delete: $175
                                Master Cylinder: $75
                                T5 Hydro conversion: $165
                                Clutch line: $40
                                Throttle Pedal + Cable: $100

=$515

So yeah, $1,000 is probably unrealistic. I guess I'm in denial on how much I've spent and don't like to think about it too hard.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X