M60 conversion, transmission options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M60 conversion, transmission options?

So out of curiosity, if I were to do a M60 swap, are there any conversions to other non-BMW transmissions?

Reason being, V8 manual cars are ridiculously rare here (one E34 V8 manual for sale in the country, 14k for it, none are wrecked out at all) and I very much doubt whether I'd be able to find a trans from one.

I've searched around and nobody says anything about it. Is it just not possible for some reason?

-edit-
    Also, what's the actual name for the V8 manual transmission? 420G?
    sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

So after some more searches it seems that some companies make adapter plates for the transmission from M50 and M52 (Getrag 250G or the higher ZF? I'm told they mount the same way).
    That seems like it would be a much better option.
    Can anyone confirm?
    Would the 250G be able to handle it, or would I need the ZF 310/320?
    Last edited by econti; 06-22-2014, 01:10 AM.
    sigpic

Comment

The 420G is an S6S-420G (BMW Designation). I think Getrag calls it a 226.

The S5-310Z/320Z is available with the V8 bellhousing in the E34 530i.

The 5HP24 automatic used in V8 cars has a separable bellhousing which can be used to adapt almost any transmission.

The Getrag 265 used in Big 6 E24's & E28's and E28 528e's has a separable bellhousing and is adaptable to the 5HP24 housing mentioned above.

Comment

265s are also stupid expensive here. Basically anything BMW we get shafted for price.
        But a removable bellhousing, now that is what I like to hear.
        I don't know much about transmissions, but would that mean that it wouldn't be too much effort to bolt the bellhousing onto an R154 or something similarly strong and available?
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by econti View Post
          265s are also stupid expensive here. Basically anything BMW we get shafted for price.
          But a removable bellhousing, now that is what I like to hear.
          I don't know much about transmissions, but would that mean that it wouldn't be too much effort to bolt the bellhousing onto an R154 or something similarly strong and available?
          Word on the street is Toyota and bmw i6 engine flywheel bolt patterns interchange.

Some UK folk are running/ selling an adapter to bolt a 2jz engine and bmw zf320 5 speed box using bmw clutch and flywheel (supposedly it bolts on)

I have no idea how true in actual application it is but would be a good start for you

another option is just shipping in a gearbox; shipping the 6 speed unit from uk-usa for my e30 was only about 400 usd

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
          OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

That would be even handier. If it works one way, then theoretically it should work the other.

Shipping stuff to and from here is insane for prices. Everything is so expensive. I think it's a hundred and fifty odd dollars to get a set of springs posted over here from America.

I'm not doing the conversion.... yet.
            I wouldn't M60 my car, it should keep the M42.
            But if I happened to aquire a 318i auto shitter once I have money, then it could be a different story.

Thanks for the info though, it certainly gives me something to think about.
            sigpic

Comment

That would be even handier. If it works one way, then theoretically it should work the other.

Shipping stuff to and from here is insane for prices. Everything is so expensive. I think it's a hundred and fifty odd dollars to get a set of springs posted over here from America.

I'm not doing the conversion.... yet.
              I wouldn't M60 my car, it should keep the M42.
              But if I happened to aquire a 318i auto shitter once I have money, then it could be a different story.

Thanks for the info though, it certainly gives me something to think about.
              Shipping a zf37dz gearbox to aus or a zf320 or g420 bmw gearbox is often done to aus.

I've sent one from stateside even but don't recall costs.

fedex DHL ups are global companies....

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

It may be often done, but that's only really out of necessity I would imagine.
                Also, since if I owned an E30 with a M60 in it, it wouldn't exactly be driven only to church on Sundays.... Trashing gears would be a distinct possibility, and rebuilds on something that we pretty much don't have would be pricey.
                Also that the good Toyota boxes are ludicrously strong (as you no doubt know) and are pretty available here.
                sigpic

Comment

It may be often done, but that's only really out of necessity I would imagine.
                  Also, since if I owned an E30 with a M60 in it, it wouldn't exactly be driven only to church on Sundays.... Trashing gears would be a distinct possibility, and rebuilds on something that we pretty much don't have would be pricey.
                  Also that the good Toyota boxes are ludicrously strong (as you no doubt know) and are pretty available here.
                  Bmw boxes are ludicrous strong. I used to have a 2jzgte j spec and wished every day I could have a bmw gearbox on it.

v160 is about 3k used here
                  g420 is about 1k used here.

1krwhp is done by local folks with the 6 speed bmw getrag; there was this company called horsepower freaks once upon a time.....

Do some math; both 6mt made in the same Getrag factory.

Comment

Some good info. Never new the Toyota parts were similar to the BMW bolt patterns.
                    sigpic
                    323i MTEC1
                    Z3 coupe
                    E60 M5

Comment

Originally posted by Wanganstyle View Post
                      Bmw boxes are ludicrous strong. I used to have a 2jzgte j spec and wished every day I could have a bmw gearbox on it.

v160 is about 3k used here
                      g420 is about 1k used here.

1krwhp is done by local folks with the 6 speed bmw getrag; there was this company called horsepower freaks once upon a time.....

Do some math; both 6mt made in the same Getrag factory.

Sort of jealous with your parts prices - There isn't a single G420 for sale here and a V160 is about 4k.
                      sigpic

Comment

Yeah, but with the separable bellhousing from the 5HP24, you should be able to hook up an R154, which is no slouch itself.

The BMW Getrag is the 226, while the V160 Supra/Skyline trans is the Getrag 233

Comment

Sort of jealous with your parts prices - There isn't a single G420 for sale here and a V160 is about 4k.
                          move to the states. it's a fun country and alcohol is much less than in aus as well.

imagine that; cheap car parts and low alcohol tax

Comment

Originally posted by Wanganstyle View Post
                            move to the states. it's a fun country and alcohol is much less than in aus as well.

imagine that; cheap car parts and low alcohol tax
                            Am honestly a little tempted - but being only 19 at the moment it'd be a little difficult.
                            And the car culture here is great, I doubt as if people in many other places will be so inclined to do a skid, race or rev if you give them a thumbs up.

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
                            Yeah, but with the separable bellhousing from the 5HP24, you should be able to hook up an R154, which is no slouch itself.

The BMW Getrag is the 226, while the V160 Supra/Skyline trans is the Getrag 233
                            I was also thinking this, as the R154 is a lot cheaper.
                            In fact, you would just be able to get away with a W58 behind the B40, albeit with not as much thrashing.
                            Though when a R154 is $1500 it'd make sense to just do that.
                            sigpic

Comment

I've done the m60 swap dude, I'm from Victoria. Think there is only two of us in Australia. The hardest part is finding the gearbox, I ended up having to wait 8months on my swap with everything done except transmission driveshaft etc. Best option by far is the m50 gearbox getrag 250 ($300)and an adapter plate. ($140)

Comment

Working...
                              X